Archinect
anchor

ComplexCity vs SimpliCity

o d b

One of our primary interests here at _URB_ is fostering discussion on issues relevant to urbanism and its related fields: architecture, landscape, and design. To help facilitate a more discursive atmosphere we are starting a new section featuring discussion topics that will be open to debate for one week. Please check in at the beginning of each week for the new topic. Also, if you have topic suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Topic #1: SimpliCity vs. ComplexCity
The first topic that we would like to bring up for discussion is a debate between complexity and simplicity in the city.

Aug 26, 08 9:54 pm

a fellow lecturer calls it simplexity...the balancing act of the simple/complex in a singular environment. Should be fun...I'll pop in

Aug 27, 08 2:00 am  · 
 · 
nb072

cool blog. i hope you get people to participate in debating.

Aug 27, 08 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

Yeah. me too. all i hear are the crickets chirping in the background.

thanks for the props!

Aug 27, 08 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

It's ironic that the topic is complexity versus simplicity. (By the way, I like the topic and your blog page.) The question of complexity is what keeps me from logging a response. Such a complicated subject--a set of subjects, actually.

As an urban designer who slogged through a PhD in planning, my mind whirls at the topic and questions you raise. But, short of setting aside a journal article (not to mention billable work at the ofice) I need to finish in order to adequately respond, I have to just say, "great blog!" for now.

I look forward to the day when I have time to write more.

Aug 28, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

hmmm...i'll have to keep that in mind next time--more accessible topic? let me know if you have any other advice!

btw, i was trying to decide between that topic and a discussion on the privatization of public infrastructure, following what I wrote on ImaginURBanism. it's funny that the day after I was thinking that the NY Times ran an article on the same subject.

Aug 28, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: