Archinect
anchor

Charlie Rose

zoolander

This man really creeps me out.

I think its the stern looks and all the pouting.

Anyone else got a view on this famed celebrity in his own right?

Aug 24, 08 5:28 pm
Emilio

oh, cm'on, give the man a break...so he's a little pretentious...but he's the only one who'll interview architects.

Aug 24, 08 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Well; perhaps he needs some spirited competition. The man, love him, is so pretentious that it's hard to believe he's "one of us." He can't shut up and let his guest speak -- he trips over himself to show his own familiarity with the subject. And yes, he seems to be pretty hung over (?) sometimes. . .!

Compare to Terry Gross. . .

Aug 24, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

I can vouch for the hung-over part. I lived in Greenwich Village a couple years ago, literally around the corner from his house. He parked his sedan in a garage a few doors north of Greenwich Street. Once, he came barrelling around the corner and nearly ran me down in front of the garage. I got an up-close-and-personal view of a seemingly inebriated Charlie Rose as he popped out and flipped the keys to an attendant and walked by me.

Aug 24, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

which charlie rose?

architect

commentator

Aug 24, 08 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

The presenter/interviewer.

He creeps me out so much and just wont shut up and let give the guest the spotlight.

Wee gay Phil put him in his place more than once in fairness.

Aug 25, 08 4:11 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

He definitely considers himself on par with his guests as a celebrity, and he does feel a need to show what he considers his vast font of knowledge.

His questions, if he ever gets to the point, can be good, though, and if he clicks with the guest they are usually interesting interviews.

He's also the only one who has artists on, too...interviewed Francesco Clemente last week, and that was a decent interview.

Aug 25, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
digger

use your damn clicker ... nobody's making you watch the guy.

Aug 25, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"clicker" - digger, how old are you? "Clicker" sounds like something my grandpa would say.

Oh wait, I'm in my 40s...make that "sounds like something my dad would say.

;-)

Charlie Rose the architect rocks, in fact I think I'll revisit my monograph of him right now...

Aug 25, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

Zoolander, don't understand about the "creeps me out": haven't you ever met an intellectually pretentious New Yorker before? You should get to Old Manhattan once in a while.

Aug 25, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

Haven't been to NY since childhood, so no real experience with the scene. From your comments it seems like the Charlie Rose arrogance is not all that uncommon!

Its true what someone else said there, he does believe he's on or sometimes above the intellectural level of his guest, leading to a general pouting session, with stern looks.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something really strange about the man and his interactions with his guests. Maybe its the fact I also know he made a speech at Bohemian Grove a few years back.

Aug 25, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
revcrank

I've heard he's a lush. His eyes are almost always glazed over when he gives an interview, and occasionally his speech is slurred. It's more a question of how drunk he is rather than is he actually drunk. And there is nothing really wrong with that. I find his interruptions more annoying than his sobriety. And he has such a big boy crush on Frank Gehry. On more than one occasion, most notably when he was interviewing David Chipperfield, he injects an awkward quantity of questions about Gehry rather than on the interviewee's work. Other than all of that, he is THE man when it comes to giving architects and architecture airtime.

Aug 25, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Charlie Rose interviewing Charlie Rose....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFE2CCfAP1o

Aug 26, 08 8:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: