Archinect
anchor

Is there any good design in Houston?

farwest1

I'm moving to Houston because of my wife's amazing job opportunity. But I'm nervous because most of the architecture work I've seen from firms there is so-so.

I looked through a couple of other threads here about Houston, and saw Kirksey, MArchitects, and that kind of work. It seems fairly bread-and-butter. Is there anything else going on? Should I not get my hopes up?

I like Interloop's work—but they're the one really progressive firm I've found. Any others that I should know about?

Aug 18, 08 1:04 pm
chupacabra

you should find quite a bit of info with a search.

Houston has some great architecture imho...menil, cy twombly, rothko, ut nurses bldg, the discovery green area is going through some interesting transformation...there is interesting residential in the heights, montrose, and 3rd ward areas...elsewhere too...Also the post apocalyptic aesthetic that is texas city...scary - but worth a visit.

Houston is highly underrated in the world of design...not to mention the crazy good food.

Aug 18, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Chupe, I think he's asking about firms, not buildings. And sorry, I can't help you - I don't know any firms in Houston.

Aug 18, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Right, I'm looking for firms. I do like the architecture in Houston generally. But most of the good stuff seems to have been done by outsiders.

Any Houston-based firms would be really helpful. Thanks!

Aug 18, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep
AIA Houston Firm Search
Aug 18, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
narmer

Check out Stern and Bucek, Carlos Jimenez, Leslie Elkins; Don't know about their office environments but they do good work; I think what you'll find there is that the really good stuff there is done by smaller offices, the large one have really gotten uninteresting after the oil bust of the 1980's and early 1990's slowdown. I will say however, there is a lot of potential in Houston for someone to do great work, the wealth and projects are there.

Aug 18, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

yeah...that was my search comment...I know others have asked the same thing on here and there is a list.

Yeah, there are a ton of firms here...not the most cutting edge but still some very nice work.

Interloop is tiny and filled with mostly just Rice students + Mark and Dawn...their work is good.

here is what a search will retrieve for you

there is your firm list ;)

Aug 18, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
raj

here is my list from about 2 years ago... there are quite a few new ones that have popped onto the scene.

good architecture in houston is still primarily residential.
of course look at the AIA awards etc.
good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------
kirksey is a big firm...i have heard both good and bad things about it.
there are quite a number of small firms that do really great work.

(i just moved from there to here in DC.) if you want a list of some of my favorite firms email me or more comments.

you can always look at the AIA awards that were recently announced:
AIAhouston

if you have a little while there is a great thing the RDA puts together every couple years that is going to happen 5/15-june
snapshot07

some of my favorites are: mainly boutique firms.
wittenberg partnership
parradesign group (design build)
natalye appel
metropolitan group (design build)
mc2 architects (design build)
glassman shoemake maldonado
brave architecture
allen bianchi
intexture
jay baker
powers brown architects

Aug 19, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
vindingo

I think David Guthrie is in Houston he does some cool stuff.

Aug 20, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 
thirsty

do any of you guys know what range of salary an inexperienced architectural intern should expect from small boutique firms, such as those listed by raj?

Aug 31, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: