Archinect
anchor

Work in Londong

laistm

Hey, I'm a fresh graduate from India and am doing my masters in industrial design. I was interested in working in London for a couple of years after finishing my masters. How do i go about it? What do i need to qualify for and are there any architects who ca help me out?

Aug 18, 08 10:10 am
mdler

I have a working dong

Aug 18, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Fresh, indeed.

Aug 18, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

@laistm

I think you can do a bit more work first and then maybe ask more specific questions?

RIBA might have some useful starter info for you on architecture and pratice/work in the UK. See www.architecture.com

Other than that, I'd just make sure that you're set up properly to get by here in terms of income, savings or what ever.

I wish you good luck

Aug 18, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

RoedGroed,

Do I need to register with RIBA before practising in the UK?

Aug 19, 08 2:52 am  · 
 · 
legeuse

you just need a general permit to do whatever kind of work in the uk, as far as i know. the body that gets you professionally registered eventually is called a.r.b. again, this is not required although it helps in terms of responsibility and wages.

good luck

Aug 19, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
laistm

thanks leguese, I'm planning to gain a couple of years work ex in India then try to work in London. How will that fair in the market there?

Aug 19, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

@laistm

I'm sorry but I can't answer your questions - I'm a student in the UK and have no idea who you are or how your India professional experience would stack up in the UK. I have heard rumors that a lot of work is coming through from Delhi/Mumbai, that it's going to be one of the next "happening" places, so maybe that would be to your advantage.
I think you should have a look at the RIBA site before answering more questions.
If you want specific feedback on experience/skills, maybe you should post a link to your portfolio?

Other than I think you're just shooting from the hip a bit right now.

For anyone here to answer the question: "I'm a graduate, I will work for two years in India, then go to London, will I be ok?..."
It's quite a tall order, unless there's someone here who's actually done it and who can offer his/her experiences.

Aug 19, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
pettydesign

i am form the United States with my education coming form there and currently work in London.

You'll need to find a firm that can sponsor you for a work permit first. Then you will need to get a visa before coming. Of course generally you will need to interview with the firms and then go back home and wait 3 months for the work permit to be processed. Thats what happened to me.

the RIBA is the professional architecture organization within the UK. The ARB is the accreditation board to make you "an architect". you will need to do a lot of things to become an architect in the UK considering your education isn't from here.

In the UK the have 3 categories for people.

Part 1: youve had 3 years of studio (in the united states its like haveing a b.s. environmental design or whatever. i dont know about india).

part 2: professional degree of architecture obtained. ex. Bachelor of Architecture, Diploma of Architecture, Masters of Architecture or equiv.

part 3: youve spent a year (or much more) working INSIDE the UK and have taken courses and passed a written and oral exam. you are now an architect.

RIBA: youve passed part 3 and give these old white guys money. they put letters behind your name to make it longer and you appear special.

ALSO.... if your education is not inside the EU.... you will need to pay the ARB money money to get your "equivalent" degrees official. So it will cost you £1200 for the pt1 and another £1200 for the part2. as well as exams and you will need to submit your portfolio to a review board. Its EXTREMELY tedious.

NONE of this is needed to work in the UK. ITS ALL needed if you want to be a registered architect. the choice is yours.

does this answer your questions?

Sep 6, 08 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Do you want to work in Industrial Design or in Architecture?

If it is Architecture, join one of the UK multi-nationals who have offices in India, work for a while, ask for a transfer. They will do all of your visa requirements.

Sep 8, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

okay. i have my masters in Architecture in industrial design. What are my options to work in an architectural firm in the US ?

Jul 24, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Masters in architecture in industrial design?

Google. It is your friend. There's also a search function for the forums here on archinect.

As others have said, we like to help but your questions are entirely too broad to be able to answer. You're asking the equivalent of "how much does lunch cost?" See what we're saying?

Jul 24, 09 10:24 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this thread is funny

Jul 24, 09 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: