Archinect
anchor

Temporary footings? (for temporary structures and shipping containers)

I am looking for a temporary footing detail/product that will allow me to place a temporary structure on soil without digging into the land(concrete footings). Does anyone know of a product that would be useful in this circumstance?

Aug 5, 08 8:53 pm
won and done williams

i think you are going to have to offer up more specifics on the type of structure you have in mind. what type of construction, etc.? otherwise, i would say, why do you need a footing at all if the structure is only temporary? for example a tent doesn't need a footing. a trailer doesn't need a footing, etc.

Aug 5, 08 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

I am looking into putting customized 40' shipping containers on a site. I do not want to place them directly on the ground because of water runoff and topography. I was assuming there would be some sort of steel footing that spreads point loads for this specific case.

Aug 5, 08 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

You might try helical piers: http://www.helicalpierworld.com/
They probably require some expertise and equipment to install, but have the advantage of resisting uplift. Alternatively, how about adjustable jack stands meant for auto repair or you could use a short scaffolding if the site is sloped.

Aug 6, 08 12:26 am  · 
 · 
ether

google pin foundation. diamond pier makes a nifty little pier.

Aug 6, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 

thanks ether, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Aug 7, 08 12:04 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

those pin foundations from diamond pier are amazing - I have never seen anything like it.

Aug 7, 08 3:42 am  · 
 · 
umangprajapati

how Shigeru ban make stable structure without using a footing?

Aug 3, 17 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You never noticed all the helium balloons attached to his buildings?

Aug 3, 17 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: