Archinect
anchor

Let's hear some good things about being an architect

charlesfitz

surely there are a number of you out there who actually enjoy going to work everyday. maybe you'd like to be paid more, but you still couldn't imagine that you'd be doing anything else. if any of you feel this way, i'd like to hear from you! tell us how long you've been in the industry and what in particular makes you proud of what you're doing!

Aug 3, 08 12:13 pm
citizen

Licensed in the field for 18 years, employed in it for 22, fascinated by it for 44.

I'm one of many here who started looking at and drawing houses and buildings as a kid. I could read the floor plan of our house when I was five; I got a drafting table for Christmas when I was nine. I could never conceive of doing anything other than designing buildings, and now parts of cities.

The study of architecture as a cultural form (related to but distinct from learning how to design) is another great part of our work. Reading the built environment is every bit as important in understanding societies as reading their literature, listening to their music, viewing their art, and understanding their laws. Architects (if they're lucky) are trained in this interpretive aspect, in addition to design.

Aug 3, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

came out of b.arch in '91, worked for a decade or so, decided there were other things i needed to figure out, went back to school, came out with m.arch in '04, taught for a little, practiced on my own for a little, and then went back into a friend's office.

architecture is frustrating, exhausting, soul-sucking, and ultimately dissatisfying but it's also what i love and what i can't imagine not doing. i think it's my religion.

Aug 3, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

Right now I get paid to draw and listen to music. And saying you're an architect is a sure fire winner with the ladies (unless they know anything about the profession).

Although unlike ^^ I'm only on a summer job before returning to uni so these are the kind of benefits I look for while I'm in a relatively passive job with very reasonable hours. In fact, my work/life balance has never been better. A good break before final year burn-out.

All in all, we're very lucky because you either get a pleasurable bit of the job or an important one. Sure we have paperwork etc, but about 90% of the jobs any of us would otherwise have gone in to would consist almost entirely of run-of-the-mill office work (I'm imagining few of us would have been stuntmen/firefighters/strippers)

Aug 3, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

hm. mine still didn't sound all that good.

there are times - moments, days, even as much as a week - where you're in the flow and what you're doing feels right. not right because it's cool or trendy or flashy or hits the budget but because you can honestly feel you've contributed something positive - something worth keeping - to the built environment.

Aug 3, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I've been practicing more than 35 years and have been licensed for more than 30 years. I love being an architect because our firm has great clients, we produce (we are told) great projects, and we have a great staff who are a lot of fun to be around each day. I don't come from money, but I make a good living, have been able to educate my children at good schools without too much economic strain, and feel like I'll be able to retire comfortably when the time comes. I've always worked very hard and work hard still. I remain interested in my work and enjoy learning new stuff every day. We're not famous (yet) but that's never been our aim. There have been some very tough years during this journey, but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I love being an architect, even when the challenges are difficult. What's not to like?

Aug 3, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
herrarchitekt

I find a career in architecture to be rewarding.

Since founding a practice earlier this year, I can't say that it's been financially rewarding from the start - but I didn't go this parth for the $ factor, exclusively.

Architecture does require a strong commitment. The ability to truly create and control your own destiny - from what you design and build to with who and where you do that is worth the blood, sweat, and tears,

Aug 4, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
i think it's my religion.

spot on, steven. i can't imagine doing anything else. for all the drawbacks, negative aspects, long hours and abusive bosses, it can be pretty fulfilling.

and there is always something to learn, always something to improve.

and it's a hell of a lot more challenging than i thought it would be (which is a good thing)

Aug 4, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

ok here it is - i confess.
"i enjoy going to work"

Aug 4, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
HHNB

Knowing you put you heart and soul into a set of dwgs.

Telling family and friend what you are working on.

Watching it come to life and people interacting in it.

Being able to drive by it all of the time and say "I worked on that"

Aug 4, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

having a drink with the clients of this private (and first one at that) commission that was just finished on their terrace over looking the canal...and seeing that they absolutely loved the place...priceless.

Aug 4, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ beautiful work, p2an!

Aug 4, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

thanks citizen. it took 2.5 years and it wasn't a whole lot of fun alot of the time, but that moment when it was handed over and the client said that it actually exceeded their expectations kinda made it all worth while.
not sure though that doing PJ's after work is good for you.

Aug 4, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the vola is a nice touch. awesome.

Aug 4, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I split my time this summer between Digital Fab for a MoMA exhibiton (guess which, ha!) and working on a huge international project at my internship. What I truely and honestly loved about the whole thing was the long hours, the pride in completed work, the camaraderie amongst people at both jobs and the overall sense of satisfaction I get when I collapse, completely beaten, into bed every night. My mantra is, and has always been, 'I'd rather be busy than bored'

Aug 4, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Oh, and finally breaking the 100 comment mark on archinect. That was a huge milestone too.

Aug 4, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

p2an,

that is a reason to be an architect!!!! great work!

i love the light on the tub.

Aug 4, 08 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
binary

anyone willing to help me out...hehhe....

i started building things when i was a kid.... then started to draw in 5th grade or so....... always built models of cars/planes/boats/etc...

then went to college..... first 2 years i was still trying to crack the surface.....

then graduated and worked in a few firms....... it was ok.... but i wanted to design/build for a little while.... since i was still young and active..... but now after having 2 bad knees/bad back and neck.... construction isnt worth it for me now.....

so with trying to do the traditional route of working in a firm to get IDP and get licensed...that is what i want to do........ but beginning to realize a few things about the field that dont really make sense....so...

i do like to detail/design and the whole 9.....

i would really like to get licensed before i leave this earth........really...

Aug 4, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
charlesfitz

PodZilla, how much work are you putting into your internship in terms of hours and designing? i'm going to be starting my internship sooner or later and I'd like to know how much work you actually get to do.

Aug 4, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

Being a HIGH class whore.

Aug 5, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
****melt

As an interior designer I like working with the client to come up with a solution to their program, developing a functional flow and anaesthetically pleasing environment that allows all to feel "at home" in the space. Ultimately I thrive on problem solving and other such mental challenges. My brain is constantly getting a work out and b/c of this I'm rarely bored (read unappy).

Like others have said, the greatest reward at the end of the day is to see the final product and knowing YOU helped make it happen.

Aug 5, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Cfitz:

I'm currently pulling between 40-60 hour weeks, with paid overtime, of course. The project I'm working on is a huge development over in Dubai, and the office is currently doing the master plan phase of things. I'm not seeing a ton of design work swing my way; it's really the 'baby steps' mentality- they give myself and the other interns small problems to work out, like planning the locations of 20 or so townhomes, or designing a skin for a tower, always under the watchful eye of a design principal.

Up until a week or two ago, we were building models. We've built 3 1:1000 scale models of the project over the course of the summer. Models can be great fun because you get a certain amount of freedom based on how it's actually constructed, however the final say always falls to the design principal.

Here's a critical thing for your own internship; when it starts: learn the power of the word "no". Not turning down work directly, but learn that when your proverbial plate is full, taking on more work won't make you seem like a hero. It will only cause you more pain and in the end, the quality of the work suffers and you have to make compromises to get everything done. Work hard, but don't overload yourself. Everyone will be happier in the end, trust me.

Aug 5, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

PodZilla,

What would you describe as a big problem to work out?

Regards
Zooey

Aug 5, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Some days are really slack.

Aug 5, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've avoided this thread because I feel like I've said it so many times here that people are tired of hearing it: there's nothing I would rather wake up and do every day than be an architect. Even the bad days of doing architecture are better than any other job I can imagine.

Every job is new, with new challenges and things to learn. And I say this as someone who has done a dozen kitchen remodels in the last three years, honestly, every one is different! Yesterday I presented a district-specific bus stop design to a neighborhood association. Today I went to three stone slab warehouses - man, I love stoneyards. Tomorrow I'll spend drafting.

I enjoy it all.

(Besides, I love saying "I'm an architect" when people ask what I do - and seeing that expression of awe/respect that comes over their face. People may be delusional about what being an architect actually means, but that expression still rocks!)

Aug 6, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Most of us love our profession. Sure it has its problems and frustrations but that is why we discuss the things we do in a forum with other people who can relate. Furthermore it's these same problems and frustrations that make us love our profession even more.

And it's like what other people say, we take most value in the great education that we were given. I'm always proud to tell people I'm an architect and the reaction of sudden respect and admiration is what we live for.

Aug 6, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

being an expert in absolutely everything, from literary theory to engineering and politics

Aug 6, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"I love saying 'I'm an architect' when people ask what I do - and seeing that expression of awe/respect that comes over their face."

LB's observation is very true, and still a thrill for me after years in the field. (Hint: DO NOT stop to correct this impression by describing the difficult parts of our job. Let the mystery continue!)

Aug 6, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

What's going on here? Is this an AA meeting - Architects Anonymous

Aug 6, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Hi mleitner ... my name's quizzical and I'm an architect.

Aug 6, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

lol

Aug 6, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Die Scheiße

Maybe I'm strange here, but I really enjoy working with the good engineering consultants, especially the structural guys. When they're on top of their game, it's a joy to work with them ... it's like a project becomes a giant 3D puzzle.

Aug 6, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
complex

you get to dress in black (standard architect dress code) and you are not frowned upon like the goth's

Aug 6, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: