Archinect
anchor

Research Data - Licensed architects, Career detours

Skis101

I'm looking for data that would support my assumption that less students that graduate from an architecture program are going in to conventional architecture practice, and even less are becoming licensed architects. Would anyone know where I could find research that would support this?

Jul 30, 08 7:25 pm
quizzical
file

wouldn't it make more sense to "look for data that analyzes the rate at which students who graduate from an architecture program are going into conventional architecture practice, and the rate at which those same graduates are becoming licensed architects"?

you seem to be looking for data that supports a bias -- rather than for objective data that reflects the true reality (which, of course, might actually be the same as your bias - you just don't know that now.)

it just seems that an open mind here might actually lead you down a more productive path.

Jul 30, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

That aia doc is awesome - it has such mind boggling stats as as the construction activity index rises, so do architectural billings - who would have thought?

It spends about 50% of the paper studying doctors and lawyers - a favorite pastime of architects

It goes on to highlight the increase in Marchs - but fails to state we now require that anyways

In short to answer your question Skis - it says that are registrations declined as the population born in the mid seventies baby bust came of age and is starting to increase as the echo boom reaches age. This is high tech stuff - be careful. It also says that as the economy gets red hot peopel leave architecture for more money elsewhere - possibly.

The most valuable thing is the last paragraph - page 73.

Jul 30, 08 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Skis101

quizzical,

thank you this helps a lot.

file,

Yes, this is what I intended to say. You just worded it better.

Jul 30, 08 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Skis - you can set up an archinect poll

Jul 30, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Last few paragraphs did not look cheery.

"From 1989-92 the number of architects practicing in the US went from 143,000 to 113,000"

About %20 of architects lost their jobs or switched careers!?

"...profession that, in his words, ‘is populated by a higher proportion of alienated and disappointed men and women than any other major profession.”

So its OK if you rage a little now and then.

Aug 1, 08 3:54 am  · 
 · 
trace™

we should make a default document all the newbies can download that outline things like money, licensure ideas, etc.

Those would be good quotes to include.

Aug 1, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

atom- there was a massive recession in the early 90's that caused half of my classmates (myself included) to seek work outside of architecture. There just wasn't any building happening.

there also was a major shift with the time to licensure following mandatory IDP. there's a report somewhere by NCARB that shows that it used to take about 3 years following graduation to be licensed and now takes over 7 years.

Aug 1, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

atom,
1989 was the stock market crash, followed by the recession. it was almost impossible to find arch work during that period.

Aug 1, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: