Archinect
anchor

Interested in Cities - how do I use it?

nb072

So, even though I am in architecture school, I find myself way more interested in *cities* than in buildings. I don't care much about materials, or details, or interiors, or furniture, etc. Well, I appreciate them, but they're not of particular interest to me.

I just have this major fascination with cities - how they work, how they came to be, what you can learn from reading their street grids, what the built envivornment says about the social culture of the people - and how the built environment can influence the social culture.

So what do I do with this? I feel like a fish out of water in architecture school where they want me to learn construction details, materials, and small-scale housing.

I guess I could go study urban planning or urban design - but (please correct me if I'm wrong about these) but it seems like urban planning would lead more to a beaurocratic job in city hall worrying about zoning laws and urban design would lead me more towards small-scale streetscapes and landscaping.

So what do I do? My only real options it seems like are:

1) become an academic. write books about cities

2) go work for a developer, because they have, though sadly intellectually devoid, have tons of power to affect change in cities

3) continue with architecture, suffer through all the details and interiors and whatnot that i'm not interested, knowing that i can later work in firms that do urban master plan projects (i.e. all that recent stuff from oma, zaha, foster) and also work on buildings that successfully address and enhance their urban environment.

advice?
thanks!
-nico

Jul 30, 08 4:59 pm
A.R.Ch

MIT DUSP. check it out

Jul 30, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

run for Mayor somewhere?

Jul 30, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
JWassell

a lot of programs are "architecture + urban planning" or somethign along those lines. take up some urban planning classes, see if it really is for you.

i would think you could focus on building context for your specific projects, use the site and surrounding structures to influence your own work, etc.

Jul 30, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

London School of Economics (LSE) has the Cities Programme

The Cities Programme is an international centre dedicated to the understanding of contemporary urban society. Its central objective is to relate physical structure to the social structure of cities.

The programme offers degree courses at the MSc and PhD level. It hosts public events with design professionals, academics, city leaders and policy makers.

Jul 30, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Is it only the built environment that appeals to you? What about community organizing? It is tough work, but if you start small, you can really affect major changes.

In Chicago, we have a group called Archi-treasures that, among other things, hosts design competitions and procures financing to rebuild run down parks or community facilities.

Jul 30, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Study landscape urbanism back east or get a job with john kaliski.

Jul 30, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
walldrug

There's actually much better options available for your interests than you listed. For many of these options it would be advisable to also get an urban planning or urban design degree. Here's a few:

1) private urban planner/design firm
- focus on physical planning for specific areas of the city, sometimes large neighborhoods, sometimes a small street or square. Examples include smaller firms like Utile in Boston (www.utiledesign.com), larger multi-disciplinary firms like HOK or EDAW, and of course the big name architecture firms like OMA, Foster, and Zaha. Within this option there is an enormous range of options. Depending on what you're interested in, you could be helping plan new cities in foreign countries or re-imagining storefronts for Main Street. Urban design is definitely not about picking out paving materials and adding a few trees.

2) non-profit planners or development corporations
- often focus on a particular neighborhood or city district trying to improve the conditions of the area, whether physical, economic, social, or cultural. These often focus on specific needs (ex. housing, jobs, parks, etc.)

3) quasi public development corporations
- planning or design positions with these corporations can be very exciting as they're usually set up in interesting cities (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) and wield both the power of the government (eminent domain) and the financial strength of a developer. In other words, they get things done.

4) public sector planning/design positions
- you may be surprised how influential and interesting many of these positions can be depending on which city it's based in. Excellent urban positions can be found in Boston, NYC, LA, Chicago and many other places. Even some surprising places in the mid-west, the public sector planners can have a lot of influence and at times be quite innovative in their approach (ex. form-based zoning).

Jul 31, 08 2:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

well there's GoodPoints,BadPoints...

Jul 31, 08 6:28 am  · 
 · 

"what the built envivornment says about the social culture of the people - and how the built environment can influence the social culture."

I'm surprised this hasn't been mention yet, but I'd start with the legendary J.B. Jackson. He "created" what's become known as cultural geography.

I'm interested how the built environment deals with identity, collective memory, and who we are and I've found the works of Jackson to be very enlightening. Check out his works. I'm sure it will help sort things out.

I don't think you have to "leave" architectural studies to study cities, I actually think its the best place to be, even if it means dealing with the details and other "stuff" you don't like.

Jul 31, 08 8:37 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Nicolas! Don't leave architecture school!

Your post describes me almost to a T (although I still love designing buildings and details).

Urban design is the field for you. I won't go into laborious detail here (search "Urban Design" on the Discussion page and you'll find a wealth of opinions and ideas). Though UD is related to "urban planning" as most use the term, it's much more built-environment focused. Architectural training is absolutely essential for this work, to which education in urban processes (policy, economics, culture, history) adds important understanding of how cities grow and change.

I'd suggest a good master's program in UD to cap your architectural education.

I'm in LA, too. Feel free to email me if you want to communicate further on this terrific subject.

Jul 31, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. This is very helpful. Feel free to continue the discussion if you have more ideas. I think I am going to look into urban design.

Jul 31, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I too love cities.

I recently purchased this book. I think there is sometihing absolutely gorgeous, telling, and cryptic about cities in plan.

Jul 31, 08 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

there are a number of arch firms (especially in europe) that partake in urban planning competitions. we did a few, and they were highly entertaining/educational. so i'll agree, don't drop the arch degree.

Jul 31, 08 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm right there with you Nicolas.....I am fascinated with cities. I think your architecture degree can only enhance your interests. With an architecture degree you can do most anything relating to the built environment. In fact, no matter which choice you pick, you can always keep indulging your love of cities.

I'm in LA as well....we should start a club. ;o)

Jul 31, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

OMG! I too love cities. I spent most of my time reading urban theory/ urbanism books rather than architecture. You guys completely what I am thinking in mind.
I'd a BArch degree and planning to go back to school next Fall for urban design. And I too in LA!

Aug 1, 08 3:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: