Archinect
anchor

How many hours did / are you spending in studios for BArch.?

sushi88

Jul 29, 08 3:37 pm
bentropy

100+ hours a week

Jul 29, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Monday- Friday.... Arrive @ 9 left at 5 returned @ 8 left at midnight
Sat - Sun........... Arrive @ 12 left at 5 returned @ 8 left @ midnight

Total Time 75- 85 hrs. I was pretty fast at drafting too which allowed me to get stuff done a lot faster than 80% of my classmates.

I always took a good break at lunch and prior to dinner i'd go for a 5-8k run, it was a very anal schedule and occasionally it got thrown off but the regular nature of it allowed me not to be in panic mode or stressed and I still find it a better way to work for me. The run and drive back and forth to and from studio allowed for a great time to think things through, even though I wasn't in studio I had time away to try and resolve things in my head.

Jul 29, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

time commitment for b.arch shouldn't be any different than m.arch or b.a. in arch. as long as you are efficient and don't waste time, you can get 8 hours of sleep every night (and a short run or bike ride almost everday, and some partying on the weekends), except for during final reviews and probably midterms.

Jul 29, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Credit hours per studio are often considerably higher for M.Arch than for B.Arch programs - so in that sense they might be expected to take a higher percentage of one's total available time outside class since they account for a higher percentage of one's total academic schedule (undergrad studios at various schools usually average 3 to 6 credits per semester, sometimes with more the final year's studio carrying more credits than the others. M.Arch studios at many schools carry 6 to 12 credits per semester, often with the 1st year studios carrying a lower number than subsequent years, so that all the 1st year core courses can fit in the schedule.)

In my personal experience: in undergrad we were told that we should expect to put in about 4 to 5 hours of our own time for every 1 hour of class time. The scheduled class time for studio was three days per week for 4 hours each of those days, so they were expecting a commitment of about 48 to 60 additional hours per week on top of the 12 hours of scheduled time!
In grad school the studios met for about 15 hours per week, but I'd say my time commitment to studio outside of class time was actually somewhat less than in undergrad, especially since I had a teaching fellowship and a job in a firm.

Jul 29, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

what's a credit?

Jul 29, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

all i know is that our crew did the work for the other classes literally hours before it was due.......

all our time was in studio............

in fact i dropped a few classes once i found out that we had to write a paper at the end of the semester.........not time for that....

then figure in a job and time to commute (only to take a shower and change clothes since i slept in studio about 75% of the time).......

b

Jul 29, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
A.R.Ch

scheduled time per week: 12 hours

additional time per week (regular): 50-60

additional time per week (finals): 100-120

Jul 29, 08 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
this_guy

I do my best to work efficiently. I spend 12 hours in class and no more then 32 hours a week working on studio work in addition to that. I work in 8 hours sessions on all the days that studio doesn’t meet (we meet on Mon. Wed. Fri. and I put in my extra time mostly on Tues. Thurs. Sat. Sun).

I didn’t plan this, it just happened and it has worked well for me. It leaves time for everything else: job, friends, sleep, girlfriend, as well as all the other classes. I have learned just as much in some of the other classes as I have learned in studio.

Review time is another story. It is always a shit show know matter how efficiently I work. I have never put in 100 hours a week though, that’s ridiculous. That’s like 14 hours a day on top of classes. Shit son…..

Jul 29, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
complex

just go with the flo...

Jul 29, 08 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
JWassell

12 hours a day for studio on average (84hr/week)

6credit class, 3 days a week for 3 hours a day scheduled

Depends a lot on the project specifics, but I try to cap myself at 12 hours a day so I can maintain a good degree of comfort and sanity, which I value greatly. The best review for me was on a Monday, did a final model Saturday from start to finish, and went to a concert Sunday.

I think a lot more people would do better if they would relax once in a while.

Jul 29, 08 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
ether

looking back, i hate to think how many hours i spent in undergrad studio. i would usually stay up for 30-40 hours, then sleep for 8-10 and repeat. grad school was definitely less, certainly more consistent.

Jul 29, 08 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

Its not about the hours you put in.

Just get across a good impression till the tutors, take some jargon, act 'architecty' and you'll be grand, no matter how average your work turns out.

Jul 30, 08 5:19 am  · 
 · 
rodgerT

the best way to succeed in arch school is be found fast asleep at your desk in studio the next morning... one word reaches your tutors you will be a shoe in!

Jul 30, 08 7:01 am  · 
 · 
heavymetalarchitecture

ya seriously that works, be asleep and have a messy desk with alot of cut up chip board lying around. you don't even have to cut it just take others scraps. so simple.

Jul 30, 08 9:22 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Every minute outside of normal classes, occasional night out or trip to the gym.

I did keep a regular schedule (got there about 6 am, left 8pm), though, which I did not in undergrad (arch). This helped me be much more productive and gave me an hour to make dinner at home and relax before crashing. Sooo much better than staying until 2-3 every night.

I carry that schedule with me today and it's worked really well.

Jul 30, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

this is such an odd topic...

we have allllll these people in here talking about their rigid studio schedules...how they consistantly worked 100 hours a week etc etc etc... leaving their studios only for a quick bite to eat or a jog...

i hate to call bs on everyone as im sure some people did that, but they are in the tiny minority...

during my b.arch, i dont ever recall 1 single person that kept even a remotely stable schedule... i dont even see how thats possible... work fluctuates in all your classes, and if your taking 18 credits a semester, like it or not, you have other classes that require and deserve attention...

yes, maybe i worked 100 hours in the weeks before mid-terms and final presentations, but i would have BARELY worked 30-40 hours at the start of semesters or right after mid-terms during periods which are generally a bit slower.

i think this question elicits the revisionists among us...

complexsys has it absolutely spot on...
go with the flow...

who gives a shit how many hours you work... set goals, say to yourself "for finals, i need this, this this this and this to present this project well enough" then just do it... it could take 100 hours a week, it could take 40... who really cares?

Jul 30, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
binary

the tricks are in the presentation techniques also....

seems like students do more 3d/rendering and have flat boards....

if you can learn the tricks of large photocopies/sharpies/markers/pencils/overlays..... then you can bang out a presentation in a night ......

b

Jul 30, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
complex

"if you can learn the tricks of large photocopies/sharpies/markers/pencils/overlays..... then you can bang out a presentation in a night ......"

Yes you can bang out a presentation that looks like an elementary kids research project on polar bears.
crizzler, you were forgetting the felt, glitter, and scented markers. JK.

Jul 30, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
fountainplace

gay. make buildings and draw photographs on the walls. write pencils in matchstick statues. build a fire and shoot it full of holes. why are adults so one dimensional?

Jul 31, 08 3:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: