Archinect
anchor

earthquake in LA

who else felt that. the ground is still shaking!

Jul 29, 08 2:45 pm
xtbl

yeah, i'm in a steel moment-framed building, so it was a little bit scary to feel the whole building shaking for 3-5 seconds. it was kind of cool, though.

Jul 29, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Jul 29, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yeehah!

Hope everyone is OK.

Jul 29, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

an erf qahhk

Jul 29, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

3-5 seconds? Felt fucking longer than that-

Jul 29, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Malibu was pretty shaky here on the sand.

Jul 29, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

whew, thank god it wasn't in seattle, i'd be screaming up and down the street crappin my pants.

Jul 29, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

damn, I missed it. maybe real estate prices will drop and I can buy a house once I return to LA...

Jul 29, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

does this mean a bigger one is coming next week?

Jul 29, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Not necessarily -- but maybe.

Quakes are typically felt differently in different places; reports of strength and duration in any one quake vary widely in many cases, depending on location. I assume the subterranean matter beneath the reporter, and that between him and the epicenter, affect the result ?

Jul 29, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok so that was my first real quake and honestly it was not that bad. Granted I was on the first floor and I didn't even know what was going on for the first 5 seconds or so, but still.....for a 5.8(4?), that seemed doable. Not so bad. (I'll change my mind if I find anything wrong in my apartment when I get home tonight....)

Jul 29, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

mere lunchtime entertainment.

Jul 29, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

people in the street screaming for aftershocks!

Jul 29, 08 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

on the 37th floor we were shaking all over the place.

Jul 29, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

God, I'd shit my pants if I were ever in a significant earthquake. Give me a severe thunderstorm or a blizzard anytime.

Jul 29, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i was on the 405

didn't feel it

:'(

Jul 29, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I'm in a rickety old loft in downtown and thought the roof was coming down on me. I found a chunk of brick laying on the floor.

Good times...

Jul 29, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
nsproductions

wasnt too bad down here in san diego

Jul 29, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
complex

got caught taking a shower and was only glad there was no "aftershock" so that I could move on to conditioner.

Jul 29, 08 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

HAARP technology.

Aerial spraying

Jul 30, 08 5:25 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i just felt a really subtle one a few minutes ago...

May 17, 09 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

there were two actually. the second was really faint

May 17, 09 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

first one: 5.0

second: aftershock, 3.0

May 18, 09 12:02 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

5.0, 3.1, 2.5 - that was one long ass experience, im still shaking

May 18, 09 12:06 am  · 
 · 
grid

didn't feel it. bummer.

May 18, 09 2:36 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah we felt it! Our lights swinging is always the first giveaway. This one was weird though....felt a little bit like bouncing. Up and down. The couch and the floor were going and I was debating jumping up and getting out. Fortunately it calmed down.

May 18, 09 2:40 am  · 
 · 
panzanator

crazyness. first real quake. was in a performance hall down in san diego during it, glad to experience it.

May 18, 09 4:10 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
got caught taking a shower

ohhh, this was my NIGHTMARE growing up! I used to have visions of it every time I stepped in the shower for awhile. Oh, the fears that rule your teenage years...

May 18, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

ah...had to get off post 911, too much bad luck lately

May 18, 09 11:26 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

was that another little quake? 3:49 pm ..

May 19, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

yes 4.1

May 19, 09 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

yes 4.1

May 19, 09 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

oh yeah! (keep 'em small)

May 19, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

it was right near where the one on sunday night was.

get ready for the big one!

May 19, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i learned the presence of talc within the san andreas in the central part of the state keeps earthquakes smaller. reduces friction between the plates and allows smaller slips or creeps.

May 19, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Wish we had talc in the San Andreas up here in the Bay Area. We're past due for our Big One. . .

May 19, 09 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

the bay area is the central part of the state. i always understood it as if there is going to be a "BIG" one it's happening in socal.

May 19, 09 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I suppose all Big Ones (like all politics) are local. We had our last Big One in 1906; I'm not sure if that was felt in SoCal much or at all. Do you know ? The fault does run through all of the area, but different parts of it can slip without the whole thing moving, apparently. Is that right ?

The Coalinga area has little quakes constantly, because the fault is less "sticky" there, as I understand it.

Was the Northridge quake on the San Andreas ? Our good-sized '89 quake was not. There are several faults in central Cal, any of which could produce our next Big One. As I recall, the San Andreas has had a major quake on roughly a 75 year cycle, going way back, which is why we are considered overdue for one.

May 19, 09 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

After having at least 3 noticable ones in the past 3 days, I am getting quake paranoid. Every time I shift the wrong way in my chair or a truck goes by, my head swims a little, and then I think "earthquake?" and then I know it's not when everyone else is sitting like normal. Good thing I was putting our emergency evacuation signs up yesterday when the last one happened, LOL.

May 20, 09 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

...and it doesn't soothe the nerves when they keep occurring in the same place.

May 20, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hey i think that was just a really small earthquake my vertical blinds were swayin' oh so slightly ..

Jun 15, 10 12:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

5.7 in socal, near border. the wife definitely felt it. i always miss the excitement

Jun 15, 10 12:36 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
5.7 near california/mexico border

9:26 pm woah !!

Jun 15, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 

fresh one just now

Jul 7, 10 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

out in the desert...

Jul 7, 10 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

An orange fell off my desk... my first earthquake!

Jul 7, 10 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i was in ze shower :'((((((((((((((((

didn't feel nothin'

Jul 7, 10 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I'm in San Francisco -- and I feel left out. Way too far away. . .

Jul 7, 10 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
outed

didn't feel it, though some friends did.

Jul 8, 10 12:12 am  · 
 · 

We'll know the economy's better when minor earthquake in LA doesn't elicit 50 responses.

Jul 8, 10 2:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: