Archinect
anchor

Natural Building

heavymetalarchitecture

Why haven't natural buildings/materials like straw bale or rammed earth etc received more love? I feel like they would be triple platinum cash money on the LEED scale. What am I missing?

Jul 29, 08 9:24 am
JWassell

if you build it.. they will come...

clients need to see it in a built environment. people are skeptical. I mean its how things were done so long ago, that i would think "we've come a long way since then, isn't there something better?" I wouldn't want a rammed earth floor in my home until I could walk on it and say 'hey I like this"

Jul 29, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i build with straw bale and adobe and they do get lots of love

your code has to allow it first much like code mandates cars so a car-less city becomes an impossibility.

Jul 29, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
earthrama

Contrary to the belief that humans are highly intelligent (Ego), we are very slow learners. Rammed earth has come a long way in the last few years and it seems that examples and education are accelerating the trend. People certainly do love them though, I know I do. Check out this site for some good pics of insulated rammed earth walls.

link

Feb 27, 09 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
earthrama

Contrary to the belief that humans are highly intelligent (Ego), we are very slow learners. Rammed earth has come a long way in the last few years and it seems that examples and education are accelerating the trend. People certainly do love them though, I know I do. Check out this site for some good pics of insulated rammed earth walls.

www.rammedearth.info

Feb 27, 09 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
vtarchitect

The early adopters are taking it. But Rammed earth has a long way to go before it hits mainstream anywhere. 

After completing 3 projects with RE, I am eager ( I mean.. real hungry!!! ) to build more!  

Jul 24, 11 2:28 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

biggest issue i have w/ RE is that it doesn't work in heating-dominated climates very well. you have to add insulation, typically goes in the middle (as the SIREWALL folks do) which requires a ton of steel and cement compared to regular RE, and then what you've really got is an uber-expensive double-leaf wall.

add in the labor of RE, and it's hard to justify for a lot of reasons.

that being said, having also worked on a RE house, as well as design of a compressed earth block project - there is a lot of potential in cooling-dominated climates.

Jul 24, 11 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: