Archinect
anchor

eisenman.

zivotinja

I can tell you following:

Office atmopshere: more like a catacomb with much more light; often stinks, since maintance and hygiene is very sporadic. This is very true of the 'intern' floor. The main Eisenman floor is ok.

Esienman: you never see him except on the street or next to the food (a fancy restaurant on the 27th street) Anyway he is more approachable in those places than in his own office when he checks football scores or the latest editions of his incarnation in print.

Pay: What pay? Nobody gets paid there except architects (and very little unless you are Peter's friend). Intern= nobody

What do you do there?: well wihtout too much headache you learn something and meet very talented and interesting people. Making models and cleaning is usually your bussiness there.

Lunch, dinner, anyone?: I heard of it but I do not know if it is a norm. Anyhow your token of humane treatmant you will receive in form of a book. Of course written, perfomed and signed by Eisenman himself.

Advice: No one or most of people do not last longer than 6 months, understandably. Imagine how long you can take vacation without receiving an income and this will be clear to you.

Jul 31, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just can't accept the idea that unpaid internships are still going on. Aren't they illegal? Didn't the architecture world, and Eisenman in particular, take a lot of heat for this practice several years ago?

Jul 31, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

really lb maybe you oughta get an unpaid intern or two...you could take over the coffee shop...

Jul 31, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

lb - yes.

Aug 1, 08 12:08 am  · 
 · 
dlb

on the line of Fuller's "originality", these following notes come from Wikipedia:

"Fuller was most famous for his geodesic domes, which can be seen as part of military radar stations, civic buildings, environmental protest camps and exhibition attractions. Walther Bauersfeld was in all probability the source of this concept. In Chapter 3, of Buckminster Fuller's Book 'CRITICAL PATH', he writes:-

"....I found a similar situation to be existent in World War II. As head mechanical engineer of the U.S.A. Board of Economic Warfare I had available to me copies of any so-called intercepts I wanted. Those were transcriptions of censor-listened-to intercontinental telephone conversations, along with letters and cables that were opened by the censor and often deciphered, and so forth. As a student of patents I asked for and received all the intercept information relating to strategic patents held by both our enemies and our own big corporations,..."

Supporting this view, an examination of the design by Dr. Walther Bauersfeld's geodesic design for the Zeiss Planetarium, reveals that it is an exact duplicate of Buckminster Fuller's Geodesic Dome Patent.

Bauersfeld completed the first planetarium, known as the Zeiss I model in 1923, and it was initially placed on the roof of a Zeiss building in the corporate headquarters town of Jena.

The Zeiss I planetarium in Jena is also considered the first geodesic dome derived from the icosahedron, more than 20 years before Buckminster Fuller reinvented and popularized this approach."

Aug 1, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

carl zeiss planeterium in jena, 1922

Aug 1, 08 1:14 am  · 
 · 
mr_minnesota

stop sucking dick

Jun 23, 09 5:57 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

for free? not even dinner? really really miserly. at the risk of sounding racist, i wonder whether he'll ask you for a bloodless pound of flesh if you ask him for a loan to afford living in NY. actually, thats quite surprising...no dinner? not a little money? really, who cares about how intelligent a person is if he's such an ungracious miser. he would be using you for generating money for him, no? vulgar.

i also concur with whoever stated that working for eisenman circa 2009 is more dubious than for him circa 1995.

Jun 23, 09 7:03 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

if i were to work for anyone for free, they'd at least have to be good looking and i'd love them and take care of them and wash their soul for them.

Jun 23, 09 7:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: