Archinect
anchor

Fuksas Studio

DSal

I've got an interview with M Fuksas Architetto in the next week and would like to post a call for any background info and advice.

Anyone work(ed) there, know someone who does(did)? I know about his work, but not so much about the office culture or environment.

I have about 4-5yrs of experience, so this isn't an entry position, if that make a difference.

Jul 25, 08 5:02 pm
Xing

as far as I know, they have one project in Shenzhen is on the table, and they need somebody working in SH for 6 months. It is a winning international airport of Shenzhen.

Jul 25, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

i would absolutely love to work there; may i ask some questions?

you are interviewing in person? telephone? in rome?
are you italian? do you speak italian? is it an italian speaking office?
how did you get the interview? do you know scripting?

thank you!!! it is honestly a dream of mine to work there after i get out of school (seriously considering it)

Jul 25, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

sorry for the double post but they also have the rome EUR building that was in progress, dont know where it stands as of now

Jul 25, 08 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
DSal

alucidwake,
I am interviewing by phone. They asked me to rome, but tickets are ridiculously expensive, so I figured I would take the first few steps "inabsentia" I am not italian, and speak only basic italian. As far as how I got the interview, I just responded to a posting on this website. No I don't know scripting.

Jul 29, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

DSal: thanks for the info. please let me know how the phone interview goes and what it is like! good luck!

Jul 30, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
rupa

I've heard horror stories from people that worked with him about getting sacked after not winning a competition or for other reasons not related to work at all.
However, he does create some inspiring projects...

Jul 31, 08 10:53 am  · 
1  · 
MADianito

rupa yeah i also have heard something like that...i think is just an urban legend

Jul 31, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
bertolucciana

DSal, this might be a bit too late, but:
working at Fuksas is the same story as most Starchitects' firms: loooong hours, frequent tantrums from the starchitect, and bad pay (or none, in fact).
Most people in the office are italian, but there's some international guys there as well. Have you ever been in their office? It's in a beautiful palazzo in the historic centre of Roma, quite nice. In bocca al lupo! (good luck!)

Aug 3, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 
DSal

Thanks. It was actually not too late, I interview tomorrow.
I figured as much. As for the hours, I work for one of the big NYC corporates right now, so I'm used to it. I'm not desperate or too caught up in the Starchitect thing, so I intend to approach with caution and skepticism. Pretty sad state of affairs in our profession when you have to do that with the "good ones". Thanks, I'll let you all know how it goes what I find out.

Aug 3, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

DSal> How did it go? Very curious...

Aug 5, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
bertolucciana

DSal, soooo?

Aug 5, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

stay far, far away

Aug 5, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

Why do you say that, 43N88W? And is that your license plate number?

Aug 5, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's milwuakee

Aug 5, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
DSal

Hey all, sorry for the delay, the interview was postponed at the last minute and I have been working under deadline all last week.

Well, the interview was good. It was brief but informative. I will be recieving more information when they return from the August Holiday at the end of the month, so I'll have to wait until for ultimate opinions.

Aug 11, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
flop

hmm. i just received an email today for an interview in rome with Fuksas studio. I'll probably just do a phone interview as well. I'd be an entry-level tho, and while I loooove his work, the possibility of no pay is horrifying in the least...

DSal, any news, have you made a decision?

Sep 9, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ea™e

Just be sure to Pronounce his name Right.

Sep 9, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

flop, just don't accept 'no pay' easy, but having said that - sometimes accepting low pay short term contract is at least a step in door. if you prove yourself then you negoiate a better deal late.
i have seen that happen to quite a few ppl, not with fukas, but other name office.

Sep 9, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

I did accept a 3-month position with Fuksas and I am here right now. If you want to read just a little about it, check out my [url=http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/blog.php?id=C0_239_39
]blog[/url].

Oct 3, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: