Archinect
anchor

any nice binding ideas..catalog

binary

working on my t-shirt catalog and need some binding options.... size is 8.5x5.5 and flips left right..........

i mocked up the catalog and used 2 keyrings...... i dont like it...

i need a smaller binding

i have 18 sheets of cardstock to put together...about .5" plus 2 chipboard covers......

you think the kinkos black wire coil is "weak"....... i have to make about 20 of these....... gonna set me back about 20 bucks a piece just to print...

i could buy a few hotness binders maybe for the big baller stores i want to send to....hmmmm.....

any ideas..

b

Jul 22, 08 10:47 pm
nb072

black coil binding is fine as long as it is tastefully employed. and preferrably the good stuff, not the junk they sell at kinkos, although it looks the same.

Jul 23, 08 2:51 am  · 
 · 
binary

hmmmm...

maybe i can get a stainless steel spring/coil and use that.....

i could drill the holes myself with the drill press and bind it right.....

Jul 23, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Wire-O binding is the same thought as coil binding but a more refined look, or if you leave a larger inside margin, Chicago screws work: they are cheap, effective, and you can add pages later on if you like

Jul 23, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i was thinking that...but i need a flip instead of a rotate.......

Jul 23, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

An old neighbor of mine used to make chain mail. He took metal rods and twisted them around a drill bit to make the spiral then cut them for the rings. But I always thought the spiral could make a cool binding.

Jul 23, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
binary

these are the only ones i think are available in a regular setting.....

i might go to depot and see if they have a compression spring that might work.....

hmmmm

i'm sure they other ways.... just cant think straight right now

b

Jul 23, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Just go to a graphics shop, they'll wire-o bind for a couple of bucks a piece.

With the Chicago screws, you can still do flip, you just want to score the pages just to the side of the binding, so that they flip from the score line.

Jul 23, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ahh...true......

hmmmm.......i only have .25" of white border per sheet......i might be able to make that happen.....or i could scale them down a hair and get more room for a bind...

Jul 23, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

Plastic looks cheap, go for something metal.

Or, if you're any good with thread you could try some japanese book binding techniques, super fancy.

Jul 25, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i think i'm gonna just do a spring and get the holes punched for a coil binding.....

i printed up a sample and i like the way it came out....... just have to remember that i have to make 50 of these or so... and organize all the pages after they get printed/cut.....

b

Jul 25, 08 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

i think that the japanese method of sew-binding (not sure that's even a term) is kind of money.

http://www.graemedawes.co.uk/

not really for mass production...but it looks good.

Jul 28, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
tokoloshee

Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take very long. I did one of my portfolio's like that and it was always well received.

Jul 28, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

Check out all these options:

http://emilyduong.com/blog/a-visual-reference-bookbinding

Sep 16, 13 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

I think I might try the secret Belgian binding for my next portfolio

Sep 16, 13 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: