Archinect
anchor

Progressive / Holistic / Sustainably Focused US / Chicago Firms

Marathon

I am in the process of looking for a new job. I graduated in May 2010 with my MArch, was unemployed for 8 months, and finally landed my current job. I knew it wasn't going to be my dream firm, but based on their website 'marketing', what they stated during my interview, and the acknowledgement of my personal emphasis on an environmentally, socially and economically progressive ethic, the office appeared a solid fit for several years while the economy recovered. Well, the online marketing turned out to be "a foundation" versus applied daily practice, and what was stated in the interview turned out to be false. As I am now looking for a new job, I am very concerned about falling into the same "marketing" trap / repeating my mis-reading of an office, which is why I am soliciting the Archinect community for their opinion on the most progressive, holistic, sustainably focused architecture firms in the US. I don't mean offices that have most LEED APs, or the most LEED certified projects, or the firm that did one super sustainable project but otherwise could care less. I am looking for firms with an ethic and design approach that is applied daily to the majority of projects to produce architecture that is focused on leaving the built environment in the best possible conditions for future generations.  I am not as concerned about firm size (at this point) or whether it is a new or old firm. I would like to stay in the US unless someone has an amazing reason to go overseas. I am also considering heading back to my home town of Chicago (but not critical), so even if the most sustainable firms aren't in Chicago, what firms in Chicago would be considered the most progressive in their sustainability focus. Thank you for your assistance.

Jul 22, 13 4:00 pm

Safdie Architects

Jul 22, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

I share in your frustration, but maybe look at it this way,” where can I go that I can change a firm into a sustainable practice?” this may be a different way to look at it, how can you change a firm for the better. Some places have a serious Green / Sustainable drain when the economy picks up, why not create change in a firm receptive and ready to make such changes.

As for what you see not being what you get, it is hard to look critically if you are desperate for a job, and sustainability is just a small part of the picture, is their work environment decent, clean in a safe transit connected area, are they having IT issues do the people at the top know how the people at the bottom do what they do? How many folks have they laid off in the last two years? How many folks quit.  Ask more questions of a potential employer than you would of a potential roommate. 
Warning signs to look for
Lots of empty desk
Old equipment
No windows in your work area (general crummyness)
Are the office chairs in good repair (indicates how they invest in their internal infrastructure)
Do they have an IDP program (shows they care about professional development)
Are they all coming from one college or university (can you fit in if all of the office is from Notre Dame and you are from IIT?)
Do they have recent work displayed and is it good?
How many all-nighters do they pull each month?
Ask how deadlines are being managed is it a frantic rush or are they mostly ready ahead of time
Ask what they as a firm need to improve on, if they say nothing specific I would be worried. If they mention specific things and don’t mention a plan or worse they have a committee and they defer to them then they may have management problems.
Who are their clients, do you want to work for a firm who builds prisons as well as other projects, and will you be in a bind ethically working for a firm that works for organizations that you find repulsive.

If you are desperate you can’t be too picky but if you can afford to pass on an offer or two then start looking more closely, you will see more of your coworkers than you will of a roommate or boy / girlfriend, so it should be the best possible fit.

Over and OUT
Peter N

Jul 27, 13 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Marathon

Miles - Since you only listed, what is the reasoning behind that specific recommendation above other firms?

Jul 30, 13 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Marathon

Peter - Thank you for the advice. I am definitely considering the option of being "the sustainability guy" at an office or joining a smaller office where I can over time help steer the office into as sustainable and progressive of a direction as possible. But those smaller firms don't hire often. All of your advice on what questions to ask a future firm are great. I have been keeping a list myself and I will add several of your suggestions. Thank you again.

Jul 30, 13 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Read the principles on their philosophy page.

Jul 30, 13 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

I am proposing a Thursday Job hunt IDP and ARE Workshop / Study Group, to meet in an agreeable Library or coffee shop in Chicago proper. Hope folks who need help or can offer advice and or insight can attend.

No more waiting now is the time for doing.

http://www.meetup.com/ChicagoYAF/events/134078332/

Over and OUT

Peter N

Aug 10, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: