Archinect
anchor

monocle mag

The Thriller in Manila

Anyone here reads it? like it?

Jul 22, 08 11:34 am
Liebchen

Yeah, it makes me feel smarter than everyone in Barnes and Noble. AND everything written in the magazine is in small, easily digestible sound bite-like articles. MUCH easier to read than the New Yorker by far.

I wouldn't pay for it, though.

Jul 22, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

I think archinector 'jump' had a project featured in it an issue or two ago...

Jul 22, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

the upcoming issue is going to have a story on this years Ghost Lab - look for pictures of me looking sexy.

Jul 22, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

mmm, now that I'll have to see!

Jul 22, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

now that I've said that I won't be in any photos, which is a good thing.

Jul 22, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

Monocle is a pretty great magazine. High quality paper. Great photos. Solid (though often short) writing. Interesting topics.

A scathing review has been circulating:

REVIEW

Some legitimate criticisms, however, it's just in its second year now and definitely deserves to continue on. This review seems to bemoan the fact that it's not as good as the New Yorker or The Economist, both of which have a long history.

Monocle's website is particularly interesting, as the do some very interesting media reports.

As mentioned, I'm not sure it's worth its high cost, but it is definitely worth paging through at the bookstore on a monthly basis.

Jul 22, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

I definetely check it out occasionally. Although it is a bit expensive.
I agree the media features are quite interesting and generally offers some additional depth, and it seems to be coming at things from a place i can respect.
My only issue is that it seems to be a bit hoity toity (spelling?), in its expected audience..

Jul 22, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

Definitely hoity and toity.

Sometimes it seems to be targeting the young wealthy ADD demographic. But the "stuff" they feature is often great, high design objects, though very expensive.

I think in some ways it makes the people reading feel rich or like they're "in" with that crowd. Features that focus on who has the best first class seating, I can't relate to at all, but it's interesting to read what a person who always flies first class is looking for, I guess.

Jul 22, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Louis...
exactly my sentiments..

Jul 22, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: