Archinect
anchor

need help identifying building: elevation with multiple concrete pours

TickerTocker

hello,

there was a building i saw some time ago, but i can't for the life of me remember whose it was. i think it was a public library or something, but what was striking about it was that each concrete pour in the exterior walls was a slightly different colour, so that the elevation became a series of light and dark bands. does anyone know which project this is? i thought it was by WORK, but can't find it on their website...

Jul 17, 08 7:23 am

sounds like something you'd see in rammed earth in the southwest.

Jul 17, 08 7:44 am  · 
 · 

it's not a great picture, but i'm pretty sure that this is the one that you're talking about...

sos children's village by studio gang...

Jul 17, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

architphil,

thanks! thats the one i was looking for!

steven,

that rammed earth wall looks pretty fantastic. would you know any good examples of that sort of construction that i could have a look at?

Jul 17, 08 8:51 am  · 
 · 
ether

the rural studio has a few projects that employ rammed earth walls.

Jul 17, 08 9:22 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

take a look at Rick Joy's work

Jul 17, 08 9:22 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

take a look at neopolitan ice cream.

Jul 17, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
binary

shizzaaammmmmm

Jul 17, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hard to see in this picture, but Kahn would use a band of travertine (I believe) to seperate the individual pours of the building. This was a way of making the different pours seem very intentional (which they were)

Jul 18, 08 1:44 am  · 
 · 
multiple pours/concrete waste

this captured my imagination when i saw it and i keep thinking that i want to recreate it as a way of making a wall or ramp someday.

...but it wouldn't have the same magic somehow, since this was almost accidental.

Jul 18, 08 8:01 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

thank you all, this has been quite educational. steven, i know what you mean about that accidental wall. somehow it seems to me to be almost herzog-esque in it's potential...

Jul 18, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

another example is zumthor's bruder klaus kapelle...

some nice tasty rammed concrete (gestampftem Beton) to start yo day...

Jul 18, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

while i like the striping on the studio gang project, something tells me there's some artifice going on there. normal concrete when poured will tend to lie flat, creating horizontal banding rather than the artistic swoops of the gang project. i have my doubts that the colored areas of the gang project correspond to the individual pours unless a lot of care was taken in creating the formwork to create those patterns. someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Jul 18, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i'm fairly certain it's applied too jafidler.
it looks more like a stucco to me...
or at least i don't recall seeing concrete that white.

Jul 18, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

i read an article about that project recently and it is concrete rather than stucco... but i had the same question that jafidler did... i can't imagine that they did it with formwork... i was figuring that they probably just used a really stiff mix of concrete...

Jul 18, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah i also think it turned out suprisingly clean...

but according to what ive read, and what they say on their website, its poured concrete.

[img]http://www.studiogang.net/site/images/projects/b2_1.jpg width=400 [img]

Jul 18, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

oops...

Jul 18, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i agree that it's probably not a formwork thing, but if true that the bands do correspond with the pours, it must have been a pretty chunky mix which doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the smooth finish. unless there's someone here from that office, i think that one will remain a mystery.

Jul 18, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

is it possible they used a chuncky mix and then polished it, a la the kunstmuseum liechtenstein?

Jul 18, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

you might be right jafidler, but it is possible to pour concrete like that, if you really want to

Jul 19, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd like to see a close up of the seam myself, if it's really clean i'd say your right, if there are a lot of pieces of aggregate showing like in the pics that steven posted, then it's probably been poured that way.

Jul 19, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

all depends on the mix

i did a custom mix of just portland cement and sand and formed with formica..... the finish was smooooth.........

typical concrete pours have the same heavy mix since the finish quality isnt an issue....... i.e. footing/sidewalks/etc.......

Jul 19, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

lb,

90% sure that cutler project is hammered post-curing.

Jul 20, 08 12:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: