Archinect
anchor

Eyesore

I think this qualifies for Kunstler's "Eyesore of the Month"

http://thebldgblock.wordpress.com/2008/07/13/university-of-illinois-construction-update/brochure_10-12-05_v3-donorrequestindd/

I can't believe this is actually going up on UIUC's campus. What a perfect way to destroy a beautiful campus.

Jul 15, 08 11:07 am

why are they doing this? what is the tower for?

i thought only mcdonald's still used the mansard.

oh, no, that's right. the new mcdonald's don't either...

--

btw, kunstler would probably like this one.

Jul 15, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 

It seems as though its another one of their takes at a contemporary Georgian look. Obviously it fails miserably, as did the ACES library, which lies directly east on the same axis.

Jul 15, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

in this day and age it would seem more appropriate to erect a cellphone tower...

Jul 15, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

A cell tower would not only be more useful but also easier on the eyes.

UIUC already has a nice bell tower as part of Altgeld Hall.

Jul 15, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

i wonder if that little outdoor room at the bottom is sealed at the top or if you can look up through all of that bell scaffolding.

Jul 15, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

man, reminds me way too much of this:

our notrh campus tower at umich.... it's one of the last projects by a former dean of ours, so.... all i can say is that it fits in well with the rest of north campus

Jul 15, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

charles moore was never a dean at michigan (although he did serve a tenure at yale following paul rudolph)...personally, i feel that the lurie tower was a wonderful tribute to an exceptional man. i hope my wife builds something as impressive after i die

Jul 15, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: