Archinect
anchor

Code Issues: Boat Storage/Repair/Painting

I know that this is probably a shot in the dark, but I'll give it a try...

Has anyone ever designed a facility for boat repair? I'm attempting to figure out what special code demands there may be regarding the hazardous materials that will be in use.

The building that we are working on is a Marine Technology Building for a community college. There is an area of the building in which they do fiberglass repairs and painting.

Thanks!

Jul 3, 08 3:19 pm
vado retro

why is this a shot in the dark? page 24 of 2006 ibc.

boat repair is F-1 occupany class. although it sounds as though you will have other occupancies in your building.

Jul 3, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

a shot in the dark as in a somewhat rare building type...

anyways, to be more specific i'm trying to determine what sort of requirements there in terms of dealing with the waste products that are produced... normally it is something that we would discuss with the code official in a preliminary meeting... but the problem is that there isn't really a code official to talk with... in florida, universities and colleges have the option of designating their own code official for the campus rather than dealing with the local municipality... and it just so happens that the community college is in the process of hiring a new person... so right now there is no one to talk with about the preliminary code issues...

Jul 3, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

also, florida has their own code (FBC), so the IBC is no help... but thanks anyways vado.

Jul 3, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

well....

you'll have fiberglass and resins
epoxies and hardners
1-3 stage setups for painting
disposal of thinners and hard resins/dust

some places might have a spray booth that has crazy amounts of lights...

then you figure a drain that catches all the dust/paint when they sand/paint....... some shops wet down the floors to help grab keep any dust/overspray from lingering in the air...

figure rubber gloves and foam/brushes for applying resins

some boat shops use a product called "west systems"..... they might have some info on material disposal

maybe this helps give you an idea of what to look for....

b

Jul 4, 08 12:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

its still f even in florida. although you probably have more than one occupancy class in your building. depending on what else is going on.

Jul 4, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: