Archinect
anchor

right way to use the ruler?

musiknouveau27

Please bare with me if you think this question is absolutely ridiculous, but have you ever seen anyone who uses a ruler with a the cork backing upside down?

Does anyone have any idea why would anyone use the ruler that way?

Jul 3, 08 11:36 am

i use my cork-backed ruler that way when i am cutting things with an xacto... two reasons: 1) it places the metal part of the rule directly on the surface for a more precise cut, 2) i get a better grip and more control of the rule with the cork side up...

Jul 3, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
uhhhhh

i do it when i'm trying to cut something very precisely (i.e. a model or trimming pages for a book, etc).

because the cork lifts the ruler off of the cutting surface slightly, there is a greater chance for the xacto blade to cut slanted, or wiggle. when i use the ruler upside-down, i am more likely to get a straight, perpendicular, clean cut.

Jul 3, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

Thank you for such quick responses. The reason I ask is that in my previous architecture course (undergrad) students and even my professor, looked at me strange for doing so.

I thought the same the thing in that the cork elevates the ruler giving me more control over the contact between the xacto/pencil and with what's beneath the ruler.

Jul 3, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

The cork backing prevents slipping. A slipping metal ruler can result in injury from the blade or damage to what you are cutting (glossy photos, etc)
If neither is a concern for you then you have the right to obsess over an obliqued cut......

Jul 3, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

Isn't that such a great metaphor?

I love pain...what's wrong with a little risk taking?

Jul 3, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

why buy two when you can just flip it over as needed? it saves the environment!

Jul 3, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

or, buy an all metal edge and put a continuous strip of drafting tape (or two if you really want to be adventurous) on the back for the same purpose. Replace as necessary, or remove at will.

Jul 3, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pennies on triangles......what chu' know 'bout that...hahaha

Jul 3, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Good for Ink on Mylar. Tape will do for Vellum.

Jul 3, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
musiknouveau27

I feel privileged. I didn't have to buy my cork-backed ruler.

Jul 3, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

...as the vellum does absorb the ink quickly. More height is needed for the Mylar, as the ink is pooled longer.

Jul 3, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

minor infraction: whack with cork side.
major infraction: metal side.

Jul 3, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I use the side of my forearm as a straight edge. It gives it that human touch, and the tinge of blood on my projects is just an added bonus!

Jul 3, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahaha, damn cryzko, i used to tape pennies to my triangles too.

Jul 3, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

we used dimes................

Jul 3, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

cork side up - I prefer my hand not slipping from the ruler also avoids amateur-looking cut-lines.

I do know a lecturer (old school) who used to rip them off in favour of electric tape - said it gliding easier, he also did this on his set squares. It does work though - not worth the effort the tape actually leaves a residue of glue on your work

Jul 3, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pocz was a baller...... made the price of that triangle go up 30cents....

Jul 3, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

The backing is not to make the ruler non-slip as much as it is to prevent ink from bleeding under the edge of the ruler due to capillary action. That's also why set-squares etc have a slight chamfer or step along the edge.

Jul 3, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

OR you could just use the ruler properly and keep your hand straight as you cut to avoid obliques. Hint: Use XACTO not OLFA and make multiple light cuts not a few heavy cuts.

Jul 3, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If you can find a Catholic Nun ask her what is the right way to use a ruler.

Jul 4, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
brichards12

Hello,

I am Mr. Bill Richards. a certified, reputable, legitimate & an accredited private money lender.
I loan money out to individuals in need of financial assistance.
Do you have a bad credit or you are in need of money to pay bills?
I want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan.

Service Rendered includes:

*Refinance
*Home Improvement
*Investor Loans
*Auto Loans
*Debt Consolidation
*Line of Credit
*Second Mortgage
*Business Loans
*Personal Loans
*International Loans

Please write back If Interested.
Upon your response you'll be provided the loan application to fill.
No social security and no credit check required, 100% Guaranteed.

I Look forward permitting us to be of service to you.
I shall await your response at your earliest convenience.

With Kind Regards,

Bill Richards

[email protected]

Jul 5, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Bill,

I have Two questions? Do you use your ruler tp measure your namesake? IT is Dick Dick isn't it?

Jul 5, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

And spam posts arrive at Archinect....

Jul 5, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Hello Mr. Bill Richards, certified, reputable, legitable and an accreditad private money lender! Nice to see real people here again on archinect!

well, lets start from the begining! I want to buy archinect [please dont let it out!] then I am looking to buy Per's honeycomb cereal / software company because it gets such great press here then ...well thats just the start of it all! How 'bout some spondules?

Of course I can get a fully unsecured 100% guarenteed student loan for harvard say? i need about $120 k ...upfront small bills....in a brown bag.

but as I am growning near to social security does that mean its a big 'N-O' for me? boo hoo -

but maybe you have some cracked software you would like to share? phone blocking?

I await your email swiftly! [email protected]

thanks!

Jul 7, 08 8:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: