Archinect
anchor

Construction Materials

Synergy

Anybody have advice for aquiring assorted construction materials for smaller remodelling jobs? Specifically I'm looking for old tin ceiling panels and molding, but other items such as tile, might come in handy at a later date. I've noticed a few things, such as old light fixtures, on Craiglist. Any other ideas where to look?

Jul 3, 08 10:52 am
Benjamin_

A friend of mine found a lot of tin ceiling tiles at various antique shops. It may require a lot of shopping, but I'm sure you could find what you are looking for at places like that.

Jul 3, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Check to see if your area has a Re-Store run by Habitat for Humanity. Everything they have is donated, so the prices are really cheap. My Re-Store always has huge quantities of tile but also many other construction materials. Also check to see if theres a builders surplus or store like that.

Jul 3, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

thanks guys, those are some good ideas, I like the antique shop idea, I hope they aren't too expensive.

Jul 3, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

I think it highly depends on the condition. The ones my friend picked up were pretty beat up because they were removed from an old farm house. I think she paid $4/piece. Happy hunting.

Jul 3, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

synergy:

i noticed that you have been posting in the aggregate chicago thread, so i am assuming you are located in chicago. there is a great place called salvage one (www.salvageone.com) that is located at 1850ish west hubbard in an old loft warehouse. 3-4 floors of salvaged architectural treasures. beautiful old stuff, and they price the products to move so you can usually get pretty good deals. i have recommended the place to a few of my more eclectic clients who like to finish spaces out on their own...

good luck.

Jul 6, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Great that sounds like what I'm looking for. I've been going through my home room by room doing renovations and I think it might be really cool to pick up some of these items, plus it will probably give me some new ideas.

Jul 6, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: