Archinect
anchor

Am I crazy?

cou2

I will be starting a M.Arch program this fall. I am currently signed up for 4 classes - a studio and 3 other architecture classes for a total of 13 credits. I wanted to take a civil engineering class as a fifth class. Is this too much? Taking this class would allow me to opt out of some of the arch classes that I have latter on and take civil engineering ones instead.

While doing my undergrad I normally took 12 credits a semester and worked 20-30 hours a week at my job and managed to do well. I won't be working if I decide to take a fifth class. My work ethic is pretty good but my time management skills aren't so great. I may have a hard time splitting my attention between so many classes. Anyone ever tried something like this?

Jun 30, 08 1:38 pm
Apurimac

I took 17 credit hours last semester (b.arch) and worked 18 hrs a week.

Jun 30, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i took 18 credit hours for 10 straight semesters while working virtually full time at 3 different jobs for the last 5. And i walked up hills both ways in the snow every day only to return at night to a hole in the wall where i curled up to sleep on a cardboard box lined with news paper.

cou2 no, you're not crazy, if you can handle the load, you can handle the load, but personally it doesn't sound unreasonable

(only part of my prior statement is true)

Jun 30, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

what program are you in?

It was mandatory for me to take 18 credits a semester. Consider yourself lucky (about being able to take 13 credits in a semester). Anyway, I wouldn't try that.

Jun 30, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

You might want to try to stick to the standard/usual course load for the first semester, to see how things go. I wouldn't take your undergrad experience necessarily as an indication of how things will go in the M.Arch.
On the other hand, many M.Arch programs require 17 or 18 credits per semester - usually studio and 4 support courses - so it's not a really unusual load.

Jun 30, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Is it unusual to only have 3 support classes? Two of the arch courses look pretty easy. The engineering class probably won't be too hard either - however it may be time consuming. I just finished the prerequisite engineering class earlier this summer and found it to be relatively easy but it still required a lot of time (it was a five week course).

Jun 30, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
5 classes, including studio, and working 20-30 hours/week seems like a reasonable load.

Its reasonable if you budget your time properly, which is usually a very foreign concept to 1st year students. I know if i had a job my first semester I probably would've gone completely mad from the stress.

Jun 30, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why the hell do you want to take a civil engineering class. thats what civil engineers are for.

Jun 30, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Vado - I'm asking myself that as well?

Jun 30, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Let the civil engineers worry about making water run downhill.

Jun 30, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i took two civil classes in grad school. i thought they were actually pretty useful.

Jun 30, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

be sure to take something in the construction area of the field. you don't need to mess around with sewers and things like that. stick to management and estimating.

Jun 30, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

pod something else runs downhill and it isn't water....and as the saying goes...."Pay Day is Friday" Can you guess the Trade?

Jun 30, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I would seriously shy away from Civil Engineering....I only say this because I was looking at a Civil Building Job Posting Site...and an assistant Civil engineer was making like $28,000.00 a year .....which
is piss pour for all they have to do. I would say shoot for Planning....seems like everyone loves Planners....the perfect Bull Shit Artist! You might even be able to pen a book and become famous....How many civil engineers can say that?

Jun 30, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I'm planning on focusing in the structures area of civil engineering ... After getting my M.Arch I might get a M.S in civil engineering. Taking classes during my M.Arch will make it easier if I decide to do that latter.

Snook, I wonder if that assistant civil engineer job one of those engineering technician sort of jigs - i.e. associates degree with watered down civil courses - not trying to put it down, but that may be why the pay is less than would be expected. From everything I've seen civil engineers make decent money.

Jun 30, 08 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

i had a semester with a studio and 4 classes before, totaling 18 hours.

i wouldn't recommend it.

remember, as studious as you think you are, you are always compromising your studio time/project when you take on more support classes. if you want to maximize your education financially e.g. my school allows for up to 18hrs before paying extra, i would give it a try...but if it is just for the love of learning, remember you can always sit in on classes without the obligations.

Jun 30, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

meta:

that's awesome! i think i want to do a full load just to experience what you described!

Jun 30, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I like my sleep to much... at least 7 hours. I know everyone's going to tell me I picked the wrong degree for that.

Jun 30, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
over_under

cou2... where are you starting in the fall?

point to everyone else. 13/16 hours whatever you do seems like itd be totally manageable with a job.

i start in the fall too... it was recommended to us that if possible we dont keep a job... at least for our first semester of grad school.. makes sense depending on your background of working/school

Jun 30, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Well bad news on scheduling front...
Don't try to work two full-time jobs and take a summer class. Something has to give.

Jul 2, 08 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: