Archinect
anchor

anyone still use markers/colored pencils for renderings?

modernistsj

or is it strictly photoshop and animation walkthroughs

Jun 27, 08 12:36 am
binary

i still rock a sharpie.....

then i scan then and tweek just a bit on photoshop..... been trying to create images like those in the product design realm..... simple/quick renderings..

i'm not really a fan of highly hottness computer renderings......

illustrations have alot more feeling and character........

but then again you have to know viz/sketchup/max/etc in order to work in the design studio at any larger firm.......

i have a full set of tria markers...i think it was around $350 new..... i'm afraid to even try to mess with them......

b

Jun 27, 08 1:30 am  · 
 · 
induct

I have a set of 72 Copic's they are sweet, but maybe I am not the best with them.

Jun 27, 08 2:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Nope, but I get a lot of client's that were sold on the "architect's" rendering, which does them no good in presenting the project.

I like pretty drawings more than photo real renderings, but they are more art than informative/marketing pieces, which means they ain't worth much to the real world. The days of getting paid for hand drawings is gone, I am afraid.

Jun 27, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Yeah well, being from the UK sharpies definitely rock as there is no equivalent here. As for rendering -that went out with drawing boards, the liquid lunch and slack liability insurance.

Get with Photoshop and never look back. No one except fellow professionals will feel nostalgic.

Jun 27, 08 10:54 am  · 
 · 
archetype

for our urban design and planning initiatives and clients, marker / colored pencil is still the way for me to go. show the public something that looks too "finished," and they feel completely left out of the process. i can do these renderings in less than 90 minutes each from a photograph, and it is a rather efficient use of everyone's time.

http://www.pbase.com/archetype/indy_gini
http://www.pbase.com/archetype/drawings

Jun 27, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What, no Sharpies in the UK? Do I smell an import opportunity?!

Jun 27, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

lb- quit smellin the sharpies!

Jun 27, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Actually the Pantone markers - that yes, I still use, a few times a year - have the small I love.

Jun 27, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Remember Scented El Marko markers from the 1970's?

Jun 27, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

i still use crayola crayons

Jun 27, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

No but i do use them in Sketchbook Painter and ArtRage ;)

Jun 27, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

archetype those are really nice...some look like a lot more effort than just 90 mins. nice work.

Jun 27, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
db

archetype is right. be careful not to scare the clients with the photoreal stuff. it's definitely a time+place argument, and there is room for both as part of the overall design process.

Jun 27, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

well.. for charrette work, visioning, concept-development for internal review, and other day-to-day design tasks, I'm not really sure how else one would work. Sure.. you might use a CAD base if you have it, but these activities are pretty much trace, pen and pencil tasks. I'm not really sure how else you'd do it.

Jun 27, 08 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

arche,
those are nice..... i would like to bang out some stuff like that...... i think those type of images convey alot better than the typical run of the mill hottness renderings....

Jun 27, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yes, very nice drawings, Archetype

Jun 27, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i was recently hired as freelance for a condo builder to render their buildings in pencil. at first, i drew a freehand sketch in 3 point perspective to show them what it would be like. now, i use CAD to put in the measurements and find interesting views, then trace and color. its funny that the "designer" is not able to perform these functions on his overpriced salary, so they pay a student poorly to do his job...

Jun 27, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

heres a few of my simple 2d sketches..... been going through my sketch books lately to try to add some stuff to my portfolio website

Jun 28, 08 3:06 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Unless you design in 3D, like I do, so you have a 3D model to start with, print/sketch, mess with, print/sketch. You can render it any number of ways to keep it looking loose.

I can't design without 3D or without sketching, or at least not effectively.

Model building is the only thing that is rarely worth the time, although I do really miss a well crafted bass wood model.

Jun 28, 08 8:50 am  · 
 · 

got to pull out the markers and pencil crayons when designing. Its funny alot of times I colour weeks/months after drawing it when I'm trying "colour conceive" - but like b I do import/scan my stuff to photoshop even if just to fill

Jun 28, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

cryzko, how do you add your color to those sketches ? In the old days it might be rub-on sheets -- at least yours have that look. . .

Jun 29, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

no one showing anymore examples?

Jun 30, 08 12:03 am  · 
 · 
r.k

archetype- very nice - i knew i had seen them somewhere before ;)

Jun 30, 08 12:59 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Ah -- photoshop, you said.

Jun 30, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
binary

sdr,
i just use photoshop......

i wish i had some marker skills....but never really had the chance to practice on dwg's in the past....

i had a knack for doing ink on mylar with solid shadows though.

i also did ink on mylar and then taped off the building from the backside and spraypainted a solid color..... looked really nice considering i did 4 boards that were 24x36 each

Jun 30, 08 1:43 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I can picture it. Nice. . .!

Jun 30, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Are electric pencil sharpeners gone already ?

Jun 30, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

sdr

here's one of the 24x36 boards is did that backpainting on...... took me about 6 scans and piecing it together to be able to get on online....... you can get the idea just by this photoshopped setup...

then some lines on mylar i did.... these were about 24x12 boards....off course everything looks better when you scale it down

i just liked the monotone/simplicity of ink/mylar dwgs

Jun 30, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Those are handsome boards. The device of a background rectangle of color with the subject(s) expanding beyond its boundary is very effective, isn't it.

Jun 30, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i didnt want to do a solid background...so all my images i have been working on, i just toss in a rectangle with color to give it a punch.......just enough i would say.......i think it helps give some character rather than leaving the inside/outside of the building the same.....

i'm still learning...one day...hahahah......

Jun 30, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Deidra

We render for designers even during the design progress. Say, the Lawn Club on Celebrity Solstice was designed and re-designed for almost 2 years by WBA. Dozens of renderings were produced to visualize their ideas. And, it's actually not as costly as one can think - 3D is reusable.

Oct 7, 08 6:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: