Archinect
anchor

hill country help

Can anyone suggest a design firm who has done some innovative work using the Texas hill country vernacular? I have been brought up on the works of Lake | Flato, Mell Lawrence and other Texas stars but Im a little burnt out. Please help me Im very hungover and need something fresh to get me going.

Jun 26, 08 3:54 pm
Sarah Hamilton

LongHorn, have you checked out the Texas Architect mag? It might help.

Jun 26, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
longhorn

For sure.

I'm familiar with the majority of the firms around Texas. Im looking for something new, whether its a new firm here I haven't heard about or firms out of state who use a similar vocabulary.

Jun 26, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Sorry, i dont speak texican........

Would you mind posting some pictures or helping us understand what the texas hill country vernacular looks like?

Jun 26, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
longhorn

here are some links

http://www.architecturalpolka.com/home.html

http://www.lakeflato.com/

Jun 26, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just do miller hull with some stucco and some stone. voila

Jun 26, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

i assume you have looked at: www.mirorivera.com

or maybe: www.alterstudio.net

not so much "venacular" as interesting and contemporary.

Jun 26, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
poncedeleonel

ah, the UT standards...

Jun 26, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Plinky Flisk...I think that is his name...or it Could be pinky flisk...

Jun 26, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

I love the hill country vernacular.
I remember seeing a Texan summer retreat. It was a collection of houses set in some woods. Won an award or was on Materialicious in the last few months.

Never been to Hill Country, but hope too. A friend born there thinks i would fit right in.

Jun 26, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Nam, thats high honours if a Texan says you'd fit in.

Jun 26, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
iamsam

have to looked at overland partners?

Jun 26, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj
black + vernooy
Jun 26, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

yea, yea...another UT standard. gotta give props to dean vernooy!

Jun 26, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
mation

namhenderson:

are you referring to this house by max levy?

i worked on that house a few years ago, and i just realized that i'm credited on the design team in one of the articles below. i really only worked on it for a couple of months though.

http://archrecord.construction.com/residential/hotm/archives/0710HotM-1.asp

http://www.texasarchitect.org/ta200709-windpoint.php?sess_id=af1273001fc1aee6979ea79c842ede2b

the site strategy you mention was to break down the mass of the 7 spaces into 7 volumes in order to only kill 1 tree out of over hundreds on the site.

Jun 27, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

pliny fisk is the guy I was thinking about...

Jun 27, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Mation,
I figured that you might know the project i was discussing.
That is the one.
I really love the light footprint of it.
Congrats on the mention....

Jun 27, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Sarah,

I thought so too.

Jun 27, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Mation,
I was reading this Designboom article on Glenn Murcutt,
It reminded me of why i liked that project you worked on.
The sensitivity to footprint and the lines of the buildings, seems similar in his work.

The localism of it?? Anywho...
Again, lovely project and plan.

Jun 29, 08 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
mation

namhenderson:

i've always thought that max levy and glenn murcutt were similar in a fews ways. both are mostly a one-man show and their designs are exceptionally sensitive to the local environment including water, wind, and sun.

i'm meeting up with max in london next week, and i'll relay your compliments on the project.

the site plan and overall project are definitely his, so i'm not sure if i should have even been credited in the article. i mostly worked on resolving the details, such as the zero-tolerance MDF interior panels and the screen boxes on the exterior to allow the windows to pivot out while keeping out the ridiculous east texas bugs.

Jun 30, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: