Archinect
anchor

how do you save money and still drink a lot

FrankHadid

How do you architects drink and have the money to live?
I'm doing a project on this and need some answers.

Jun 20, 08 7:02 pm
holz.box

brew on beer/wine
work @ bar (this is ideal, as you get free food as well, and meet hot drunk chicks/guys - however, the 2-3 hour drinking sessionsafter closing really affect your work)

Jun 20, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

1) drink at home, not out at expensive bars
2) get men to buy me drinks when I am out at bars
3) embrace cheap booze. give me a bottle of blackberry boones and I'm a happy camper for an evening. Not to say I wouldn't be happier with something nicer, but I guess the point is that beggars can't be choosers.

Jun 20, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
bentropy

two words:

SPARKS LIGHT

Jun 20, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Be a girl, and smile prettily. Or you can get a boyfriend/husband.

Jun 20, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

FRANK YOU SUCK! stupid troll

Jun 20, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

it's the beer fault!

Jun 20, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

ryanj,

where did you get that cartoon? I saw one the other day and don't know what the name is.

Jun 20, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

google image search = cheap beer cartoon; second page, second image

Jun 20, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i wonder if i start to drink if i'll be able to calm down....... just wine though.......hmmmmm

Jun 20, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

well, it's worth giving a shot, cryzko.

Jun 20, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

(that's not a stupid liquor pun, by the way.)

as for me, when duty calls, i drink a six-pack of some nice harpoon or smuttynose IPA then finish the night off with endless PBR...hurts the stomach, but not the pocketbook.

Jun 20, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Work for a firm that encourages social drinking (and maybe even stocks the fridge with beer).

Jun 20, 08 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Work for a firm that does lots of interior design work. You'll always be getting wined and dined by product vendors and being invited to lavish showroom parties with open bars.

Jun 20, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
db

box wine

Jun 20, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Get invited to friends houses for dinner that you know always have alcohol on hand.

Flirt a little at the bar and get a guy to buy you a drink.

Wait for Cold Beverage Friday at work and stock up.

Jun 20, 08 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

just don't eat.

beer = liquid bread

Jun 20, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

^ word.

Jun 20, 08 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

or if you're irish...

$beer < $water

(atleast that's what i hear)

Jun 20, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

drink whiskey | don't chase | mid shelf should do the trick } you'll need less to fall on your ass and still have change in your pocket unless you trip and it all falls out.

Irish Yoga anyone.

Jun 21, 08 12:04 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

techno, i think i did that in high school/undergrad a few times, but we never had the sense to call it that...

just be careful not to gag on your vomit.

Jun 21, 08 12:17 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

db has the right idea, buy in bulk...

buy 15.5 gallon kegs.

-15.5 gallon keg of fat tire = $149.99 or
-$139.99 for foster's
-stone ipa will cost you $169.99 per keg

1 gallon=128 ounces

15.5 gal. X 128 = 1984 ounces
1984 ounces / 12 oz. (1 bottle) = 165 (12 ounce serving)

$149.99 / 165 = 90 cents per 12 ounces

initial costs: keg, tap, mini refrigerator?

90 cent beers, and if you drink a twelve pack a night then the keg should last you 2 weeks.

Jun 21, 08 3:48 am  · 
 · 

get your drinks AND stay in shape: volunteer for every friend's moving or house construction/renovation project. drinks usually follow.

Jun 21, 08 7:43 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

drinking is living...all of my money is spent on merlotch...and sometimes whiskey...and sometimes cuba libre...and sometimes cape codder...and sometimes cosmopolitan...and sometimes mojito...and sometimes rum punch...and sometimes margarita...and sometimes valpolicella...and sometimes zima...and sometimes tequila...no, wait, i usually get the tequila as a courtesy from bartender

anyhow, the important thing is to drink...drink often...and drink with daring creativity...and fireworks help too

Jun 21, 08 9:17 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

two buck chuck!
thank god there is a trader joes nearby.

Jun 21, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 

I just did a merlotch search and it sent me right back to here...you might want to publish that puddles and get a copyright on it

Jun 21, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Pacifico!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 21, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

two words:

ART OPENINGS

Jun 21, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

99 cent 24oz cans of Coors

the 12oz cans cost the same, its really shitty beer but it does the trick

Jun 21, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

and the orange slice with your blue moons keeps away scurvy!

Jun 21, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
fiasco

donate blood, earn money, drink less

Jun 21, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I drank myself into poverty drinking nothing but dogfish head for a good couple of months there. It seriously cut into my food budget.

Jun 21, 08 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Ill take the FREEDOM!

[img]http://splinteredsunrise.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/braveheart.jpg[/img}

Jun 21, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
Jun 21, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

mel gibson is a real douche

Jun 21, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

if i remember correctly, you're also fond of yeungling, apurimac? that's pretty cheap...but dogfish head is amazing. hoppy hoppy stuff.

back in college my roommates and i would do it up with 40s of Steel Reserve. high gravity. the stuff ruined you, and for about $3 ea., it made for a cheap night. but so gross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Reserve

Jun 22, 08 12:55 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh dear god, Steel Reserve, that shit will fuck you bad but my god its shitty beer!

Jun 22, 08 1:03 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

drinking games have allowed me to drink hard and often on other peoples dime.

im sure you all have your own; beer pong, quarters, baseball. i preferred ones that allowed me to continue to drink when i couldn't afford drinks. pong and quarters especially.

drinking games and binge drinking are productive ways to save time. drink harder and faster, and you will be afforded more quality social time with your friends, you can reach an equal state of inebriation even after working late in the studio, or you could just pass out earlier thus allowing more time to recover and a better chance of making it to class in the morning.

one of my favorites when i was in school with used to play a game called edward 40 hands..... in which all participants would be required to duck tap a 40 on each hand. having both hands taped around bottles makes it almost impossible to open your fly or do any of the necessary maneuvering needed to relive yourself. YOU MUST DRINK BOTH 40's before you can pee.

its a great way to get the evening started...... just don't make so much noise that the cops have to come and your stuck explaining why you cant open the door because your hands are taped to bottles.

i miss college

Jun 22, 08 3:04 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

a 12 pack of Pigseye is about $6

Jun 22, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
n_

Some of my favorite nights have been the result of Edward 40 Hands. Sooooooooooo many stories. Sooooooooooo many 40s.

Jun 22, 08 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go out with me i always seem to buy.

Jun 22, 08 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

and none of that cheap swill either.

Jun 22, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm point taken we are all going drinking with vado.

I would also suggest that you move closer to a fraternity - there's always a party, I'm sure it would also be a good way to well get laid too.

Jun 23, 08 1:13 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

does drinking enough to forget how much your spending count as perceived savings?

also, i found this nice ipa at trader joe's in boston made by kennebunkport brewing that is only $5.99 for a six-pack, which is the best deal i've found on such a good beer. not sure of the availability outside this area though

Jun 23, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

McSorley's Irish Ale - $5.99 a six pack

Jun 23, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so i went to a bar yesterday and opened a tab. My card was charged three different amounts ;(

Jun 23, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
apocalipstick

teetotaller is the cheapest

Jun 23, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Green Drinks

in order to prop of green architecture they have weekely free drinking events.

Jun 23, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

but in the end alc is a toxin and kills cells more than any other drug

Jun 23, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

When I was in Chicago... http://chi.myopenbar.com/

... now if they would just expand the site to DC...

Jun 24, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
but in the end alc is a toxin and kills cells more than any other drug

sometimes, a little brain damage can help

Jun 25, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: