Archinect
anchor

moving to Los Angeles, job hunt, cold calling?

jkzen

hello all. i will be graduating in december and moving to l.a. for my wife to go to school. i have started/gleaned firm lists and am now wondering about the application process.

1. how is cold calling perceived in the arch world? is it a viable way to find employment? (given that the firm is hiring and i am qualified)

2. i will be in l.a. in august. is that too early to start looking, dropping off resumes and portfolios?

any additional advice would be greatly appreciated as i will be fresh out of school and fresh to los angeles.

thanks

jkzen

Jun 20, 08 5:34 pm

unfortunately, many people don't like to deal with out-of-towners. It's never 100% sure that you're going to move there until you're actually in town, so firms are wary. So frequently people have the most success in this situation when they are sure to mention things like, "I will be in town for interviews between August x and x, please let me know if you want to schedule something then." or some other concrete plan. This lets them know you're not just playing look-and-see, you are really serious about the move.

I say go ahead and start looking in August, just don't be super disappointed if nobody jumps right away since it is pretty far in advance.

Jun 20, 08 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

its hot in LA

Jun 20, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

Thanks for the tips rationalist, I experienced similar issues when I had to move to Boston a few years ago. To reiterate it is very important to tell your employer you are really serious about moving. I am trying to land a job in L.A. now since I def. need a change of scenery at this point. Good luck jkzen, and in my opinion it is never too early to start looking/ applying at the very least you will set up something positive for the future with all your work. Now if I only took my own advice.

Jun 21, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

...market is slow in la now. i dont think too many firms will know anything in august about december...

Jun 21, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

mdler...no kidding, I feel like the liquid inside my eyes has evaporating.
Watching tv seems like the only option, except that sitting on the couch is unbearable. Wish I was at the beach.

jkzen, sorry to get off topic.

1. Cold calling may work if the office is mid to large. Find a project architect/manager through the firm website - they may be willing to speak to you if you're well prepared. Principals will generally not answer.
Smaller firms probably would prefer an email, especially if they're very small.

2. December is a long way off, but if you say that you would like to visit the firm they should let you in. At least that way you can see if it looks like somewhere you would like to apply.

Other... The larger and mid size LA firms seem like they're still hiring. Recent grads I've spoken to all seem to have gotten employment. I actually had a hard time finding someone that wasn't already employed to recommend to a friend who was looking for a recent grad. I would have expected things to be dire by now, but at least for now they're not that bad. We'll see next year...sorry if that sounded depressing.

best of luck with your search.

Jun 21, 08 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
jkzen

thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone. since, i know that i will be moving los angeles, i can assure potential employers that i am willing to commit. and though my wife is from socal, we are moving from montana and our northern bodies may wilt from the crazy heat...

thanks again
jkzen

Jun 22, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"its hot in LA"

Wuss! LA is not hot...I am here now and laughing at all the locals whining about the supposed heat...come visit Houston and you will know heat.

Jun 22, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jonathan Brown

Hey chupacabra, my parents live in Houston, you are not kidding. It was hot last x-mas, we were sitting outside in Rice Village eating dinner, WTF. Never been to L.A. but anything is better than walking a mile to grad school when it is -30 and 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground. And people ask me why I want to move, ha!

Jun 22, 08 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
DesignKERN

I am planning on moving to SF, going the same route of "will be out here this to then," Attempt to get a job too. Does anyone know how the SF job market is?

Jun 23, 08 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: