Archinect
anchor

Need help in Zoo Design

bienbullicer

Hi guys, I just wanna ask for some help regarding zoo design. Information is just so hard to find about. Its actually a redevelopment of a zoo here in the Philippines and I'm actually having a hard time doing the research thing since informations, just like what i've said, are so limited.

Designing a zoo is quite interesting but just the same, the aspect of reserach really bothers me.. I want the outsome to be a very good one.. By the way, is it advisable to place an interactive mini safari inside it? what do you think?

I am looking forward for some comments guys. Thanks a lot! Its nice to be back here.

Jun 19, 08 11:29 pm
binary

dont put the lions and the zebras together

Jun 19, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Jun 20, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

whoa!.... cool , a zoo...you win the prize for most interesting project!

also,... don't plan on using any realistic statues of animals...

Jun 20, 08 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

have the animals roaming free in a large park with the audience in a series of cages. with a tunnel connecting the cages... cheers!

Jun 20, 08 12:39 am  · 
 · 
binary

like a giant hampster tube...... with granola bars and twizzlers

Jun 20, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

See:

-Cedric Price's aviary at the London Zoo
-Lubetkin's Penguin Pool, also at the London Zoo
-The recent JA competition which was for conceptual designs for zoos. (Published in one of last year's issues of Japan Architect.)

Jun 20, 08 1:16 am  · 
 · 
a-f

A recent issue of Topos is specifically about botanical gardens and zoos: Topos

Jun 20, 08 5:41 am  · 
 · 
bienbullicer

@pothholes: yeah.. the lion'll just eat the zebra. haha.

@ff33: sorry i don't know how to shortcut encode in here the superscirpt 0. anyway, thanks very much for the comment, i really appreciate it. I'll take your advise on the statues, that picture looks really funny and weird. haha. thanks again! Ill keep you updated.

@Mission St.: THAT IS VERY COOL. We have one here in the Philippines, if you know subic, they have the ZOOBIC safari, wherein the guests are the ones who are in a vehicle that looks like a cage and the animals are free. But I like your idea better since my site is in the City, it'll make animal security a lot better. Thanks for that idea! Kudos Mission St.!

@agfa8x: Thanks for those info, i really need them for the sample problems. thanks, really!

@a-f: Thanks to you too.. I get to add more info rather than the usual info about zoo design..

Thanks so much guys.. hope we still have a lot to talk about the zoo project in here. I need more info on ideal designs for comfortable living of the animals though. thanks again!

Jun 20, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

orangutans are skepitical of changes in their cages.

Jun 20, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
bienbullicer

what do you mean?

Im planning to put the monkeys and their kind in a big big cage where there are a lot of trees.. What do you think? Thanks vado retro! =)

Jun 20, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

vado brings up a good point..you will need to do a Prelim. Program Survey in order to achieve the correct reponses to so much of the taxonmoy of zoological behaviors.

Better watch Animal Planet for like 3 months.

Jun 20, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
kanu

When read this post last night, I kind of thought it was a joke. I don’t think too many good zoos are designed without the help of an extensive team of zoological consultants. You will ultimately have so many different environments to create that you probably don’t know much about, not to mention the depth of the systems and programmatic needs of maintaining those environments. For instance i know most aquariums and I’m sure other exhibits with water require extensive filtration systems, not to mention "back of shop area" i.e. incubators, breeding enclosures, medical, food prep, waste disposal and other facilities dedicated to the needs of the animals. Any given part of a zoo that the public can see is a very small portion of that project. I think others are above are right, you need to start by defining the scope of your zoo. What exhibits are you going to want? How many animals? What different types of ecosystems do you wish to create? From that point you could probably do some bubble diagrams or really loose schematic ideas but I would get in contact with some one who specializes in each of those animals or ecosystems as soon as your budget and contract allow.

Jun 20, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

Penguin Pool
London Zoo

Berthold Lubetkin 1934

Jun 21, 08 4:53 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

this thread is halarious... how to design a monkey cage...

Jun 21, 08 4:56 am  · 
 · 
bienbullicer

@kanu: man, you're really a big help. You're such an expert in helping out. Thank you very much. I'm gonna have to follow all of your advise in regarding this design problem. Its like a redevelopment project though, since the zoo is existing, they just want major redevelopment for it to be better and more effiecient to the excurtionists. The condition of the zoo right now is okay i can say, but i can also say it needs a major make over to serve the public more about how animals dwell..
And another thing, I want this project to have a big impact to sustainable design and to introduce more ways to help the environment this generation. Thank you very very much kanu. I really appreciate it. Hope to hear more from you soon.

@blackharp: Thanks for that pic there blackharp!

Jun 21, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: