Archinect
anchor

24 hours in Beijing

... well, actually two stints of about 12 hours each. Not very much time, but I want to at least run up to the Bird's Nest/Watercube and CCTV construction sites.

I've found the olympic stuff on google earth, but CCTV is harder to track down (looking for a big crooked shadow). Does anyone have the address? What's the best way to get around? What else should not be missed on a whirlwind tour?

I've got a lot of questions. Apurimac, I'm looking in your direction ...

Jun 18, 08 4:58 pm
nb072
CCTV in Google Maps

Google Maps (American edition) doesn't have streets on it for Beijing, but you can find it easily - if you take the subway to Guomao you'll see it.

Jun 18, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Oh btw, the subway is great, but cabs are amazingly affordable. (i.e. 1/10th of what they cost in New York). Just don't get in a cab if you don't speak Mandarin or don't have where you're going written out (in Chinese).

Jun 18, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

So, you have 2 12 hr layovers?

Well, if memory serves correctly it takes at least an hour or so to get from beijing capital airport into the city proper. CCTV is located in the new business district to the east of the forbidden city, which is the center of town, and the olympic site is located to the north west, if memory serves.

So figure you've got 2 hrs on the road getting from and to the airport, 2 hr for arrival if your coming from overseas, 2 hrs for intl check-in so you have about 6 hours to play in town. Your first layover, id probably head for the Forbidden City/Tienanmen for about 4.5 hrs and then head to CCTV for 1/2 hr. If CCTV is complete by the time you're there, you may wanna give it an hour but if its still under construction all you'll be able to do is walk the perim. of the site.

The olympic site is further from the airport than either the forbidden city or CCTV. If you want to push it on your second layover, you could try to head out to The winter palace for 2 hrs, and then go to the olympic site for an hour on your way back as both are on the north west side of town.

Another option would be to head to the olympic site first for maybe 2 hrs, and then stop by the Lama temple on the way back to the airport for an hour or so. This is a much safer bet, so if your playing around rush hour, that's how I'd do it.

You have to take into account beijing traffic though, try to coordinate it so your at the sites you want to see during rush hour and on the road when traffic is good. All the temples and palaces are typically open about 9-5, but CCTV and the olmpics you can visit whenever. If you have to be on the road during rush, double the amount of time you think its going to take to get you there.

Your only hope is cabs btw. Get a travel guide of the city and bookmark the names of your destinations in it, show it to any city cabbie and he'll take you there. Be sure you have plenty of Yuan on hand to pay the guys though, I'd probably withdraw at least a thousand RMB (200 USD = 1400 RMB) at the airport on your first layover and if you have alot leftover it will be good for your second layover.

Jun 18, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, Nicolas and Apu!

Jun 18, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
vinatieri

Go to 798.

Jun 18, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

Last time I was given a tour of CCTV by one of our consultants, it was suggested that it would soon be closed to westerners. So you may have to be satisfied with a perimeter tour. Especially if you don't know anyone that can get you on-site.
If you go to the Forbidden City, go across the street to the National Opera.
Get a cab at the airport from the taxi cue just outside. Should cost about 90-100RMB to the Forbidden City. Don't go with the private taxi drivers that will hit on you inside the terminal. They'll want 5 times that.

Jun 18, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Where are you going that you have 12 hour layovers at PEK?

798 is cool and halfway to airport. Although if that might be on my 3-day Beijing itinerary, not my 1-day, just because CCTV and the Forbidden City are more significant. But go to 798 if you want to be in the know about art and you want to see a neighborhood (adjacent to 798) where real contemporary city life happens, away from all the historical stuff and the corporate towers within the 2nd and 3rd ring roads.

Jun 18, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

If i had a night in Beijing, i'd probably head to Ho Hai.

Jun 18, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

having spent last summer in bj, i'd say:

second the ho hai, definitely check out tiananmen+forbidden city (you can spend a lot fo time there, or a little). get lost in a hutong.

temple of heaven is the furthest from the airport- but it's not too much further on teh ring road if you're already going to see cctv. and i think it's a much more amazing space than anything in the forbidden city- if you can get there at an odd time (especially early in the morning)

don't bother with 798- there is some good art there, but it's mostly been flushed out by cheesy, derivative crap and increasing rents (still has a good bookshop though)

taxi's are great, but look out for sketchy ones

Jun 19, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

do people really refer to it as BJ?

Jun 19, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

谢谢, everybody! It sounds like there is a lot to do. Looking forward to it, but I'll have to come back sometime for a more proper visit.

Jun 19, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

yes, and they do make i (heart) bj shirts

Jun 19, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
n_

You have a short amount of time so opt to take a taxi or motorbike taxi to save time. As recommended above, I'd try to find the characters, or hanzi of your destinations. It will save you time and confusion.

I'd go to Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City because it's a must for any Beijing visit. While it's great see, it's heavily touristed. You'll notice yourself looking at the back of a bajillion tourist (both domestic and international) heads and backpacks. The times I have visited and taken others to visit, we usually founds ourselves in the square for about 30 minutes and Forbidden City for about an hour.

With your extra time, I'd take a cab to a hutong and experience authentic China. You'll probably be one of a handful of Westerners walking aimlessly in the narrow streets but you won't regret it. Promise. You'll be able to smell, see, hear the China that's disappearing from their main cities.

Jun 19, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

or if you go to the malls you might never notice you're in china. except that everyone working at dairy queen and h&m look chinese.

Jun 19, 08 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: