Archinect
anchor

Changes to NYC Building Code

mantaray

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

Changes to NYC Building Code

Any thoughts?

I'm wondering what could have prompted change #3. Did someone get their toe caught and sue?

Jun 18, 08 2:15 pm
sgs23

That would be the same reason they limit the opening between balusters to 4", so a little one doesn't get stuck or fall through.

#7's a good one it should save a few lives.

Jun 18, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

did anyone else go to the convention at the javits center yesterday?

LiMandri spoke and said that there will be some serious changes made to building codes in the next two weeks

Jun 18, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

ratproofing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 18, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Does the sprinkler one include detatched single family? That seems excessive, doesn't it?

Jun 18, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

there aint no detached single family in NYC...

Jun 18, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Meta, Maybe I am misunderstanding, do you really think the scissor stair will come back, or that it is a good idea?

Jun 18, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

If there is one rule that drives this city, its that money talks. When the big developers start petitioning their politician buddies to bring scissor stairs back because its hurting their bottom line and in return Mr. State Senator will get access to the developer's lovely weekend home in the Hamptons, then we'll see shit like scissor stairs making a comeback.

For the record, I think New York Sucks.

Jun 18, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

...thru self-certification various interpretations of such code will happen... -They will probably do away with self-certification next...

Jun 19, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

What are the disadvantages of the scissors stair? Why was it eliminated?

Jun 19, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

the scissors stair is the fundamental stair type. i havent read the article yet so maybe theres a reason. I cant see it. maybe just maybe its meant to combat breaches of the shared core wall which has happened 2x ever - both on 911

Jun 19, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

"thicker to chew through"

awesome only in NYC

Jun 19, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I swear to god we should have a major sports franchise called "The Rats".

Jun 20, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 
AAKWEKS

Self-Cert 'til you Squirt!!!!

Jun 27, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

has anyone read the new york building code?
there are so many holes it's ridiculous...it's open to interpretation all over the place...it almost seems as though it's set up so that you have to bribe people to do what you want...or at least know the rite expeditor...it's insane.

typ answer from an expeditor:
me - so it seems as though in the addendum that we're required to have safety dots at 33 and 66 inches off the floor on our glass doors and sidelights.
exp-that's what it says, but nobody does it.
me-....so it's required? and it's illegal not to?
exp-that's the code, but nobody ever puts them in.
me- so we don't need it?
exp-...nobody does it.

Jun 27, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Safety dot? What the hell's a safety dot?

Jun 27, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: