Archinect
anchor

Neglected?

Hello

i work in a new york firm, midtown manhattan. worked here about 1 yr and seem to have less and less work here. not as in bad economy, we have lots to do. i know my work and am more than capable of helping anybody finish a job. but when i run out of work and email people, they dont tell me they need or if they do need help. i dont understand and it makes me feel a little useless.

i am proactive and want a challenge. is this not my firm? not my environment? ive noticed ...but i catch myself typing this at work and daydreaming... i know this is bad. but do you think its time for me to move on to a firm who actually throws you some work?

Jun 18, 08 12:34 pm
mdler

are you gettin a paycheck??? If so, I would hold out a little longer. Spend time looking through drawings sets, details, books, magazines, etc...you might as well be learning on your company's dime. If you are being proactive about trying to be a useful employee, your company cant blame you for being lazy

Also, I dont know what things are like in NYC right now, but finding a new job my be a little difficult in the current economy

BTW, do you work for KPF?

Jun 18, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

ya im getting an income. its not the greatest coming out with a masters at columbia's program.. about 10k less than my friends. i tried applying to KPF but they didnt contact me for an interview. i had an interview with adamson associates archtiects and in 2 weeks i have another with SOM.

why ? is KPF hiring?

Jun 18, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

have you tried actually speaking to people about this instead of just emailing them? People put off email. It's easy to do, and it's especially easy when you don't read the email until an hour after the person sent it, to say "oh, that was an hour ago. Surely they've found something by now." and forget about it.

Jun 18, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

My advice ... get up out of your chair, walk around to see the various people who manage projects and ask each and every one of them if you could give them a hand. Also -- go talk to the principal in charge of your area of the firm ... let that person know that you feel underutilized and ask what can be done to provide you better opportunities to contribute.

This still is a personal relationship business ... e-mail is just too impersonal and easy to ignore.

Good luck.

Jun 18, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

what rationalist said .... !

Jun 18, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

thanks! i admit i email more than getting up to ask directly. i'll have to do that more often. but if this continues i'll speak with the principal then.

Jun 18, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

get up

walk around

when people see you they remember you

ask them directly
(i can't stand it when interns just sit there!)

and if all else fails:
the library always needs cleaning up / reorganizing. and coffee's always gotta be made. there ain't no shame in doing filing and organizing.

might i direct you to this fantastic book.

Jun 18, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Maybe while your not doing anything you can develop your own ideas and designs, beaf up the portfolio for that interview in two weeks,

when i have nothing to do in the office, first i ask if there's something that needs to be done, if nothing - then i upchuck some of my dream designs or i try to create solutions to everyday problems (for example : Prisons are crowded, design something thatll change that)
when im too lazy for that i just mess around on my computer

Jun 18, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

How about you try and give an advanced notice when your tasks will be completed and when you will be ready for your next assignment.

Personally, I appreciate it when people come to me and say that they will be done with all their assigned work in an hour, or in a day, or after lunch... and will be ready for something new.

This give me time to think of what they should be working on next, and what is the most important thing on the table (that the person can handle) instead of being put on the spot, interrupting my flow of work.

or even better, you know your skill set (or what you can legitimately handle in a professional office) - look at other drawing sets to see what type of drawings are generally included and say to your PM - "I am almost finished with those room finish schedules, do you want me to work on reflected ceiling plans, or wall sections next?"

Jun 18, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

thank you for all your informative suggestions! all is appreciated and understood.

Jun 18, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

do you not have meetings with time projections for work etc? seems to be sop.

Jun 18, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

-enter a competition

-find all of the other people at your office who are in the same position as you (have nothing to do)

-assymble said people as your team on the competition

-create job number for competition (so that you can charge for materials, etc)

-win competiton

-start your own office

Jun 18, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

yes, thank you all.

when i do get the work, its more of bits and pieces of things, its not anything you can really work on for a couple of days. others however, have like 40+ hours on that job, but im jumping everywhere. i feel like a cad monkey just finishing up peoples work that they'd rather let me do. i want to come to work knowing what i have to do. and im now asking around and confronting them directly but i feel like a place holder.

Jun 19, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Cure

the people who work on 40+ are about the same level as me too. and other projects have the same issue.

Jun 19, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Cure -- sounds to me like you need to go speak with either the Principal in charge of your area of the firm, or the HR department. Keep it very positive and constructive ... just let them know you're feeling underutilized and want to be connected to a project where you can get immersed. Make sure you're approaching this from the point of view of what's in their best interests. However, be careful you don't jump the chain-of-command too severely -- you don't want to piss off your project manager, if you've been assigned to one.

Jun 19, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

One of the funny things about KPF is they will keep your resume on file. I've had friends get calls from them a year after submitting their resume asking if they'd like to come in for an interview.

Jun 19, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
med.

I had this same problem at one point. But I made it a point to assist anyone on anything even if it meant putting dimension strings and detail labels to an entire set of DDs or CDs. To me there is no better way to sell your level of dependability than to do that.

Jun 19, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Cure,

your bosses are neglecting you at work???

Sound like you may need a visit from...

the SUPERNANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 19, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

quizzical, i understand your point. i will follow up on that!

it is true that i should give myself as a dependability so i can be trusted more and then be given more work. thanks :)

nanny? thanks for the laughs.

Jun 19, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: