Archinect
anchor

New York firms paying overtime

Sean!

I’ve recently noticed, in the New York area, an overwhelming number of firms paying overtime; time and ½. So what’s the consensus? Is our profession becoming more “professional” where’s the debate now?

Jun 17, 08 5:08 pm
AP

can you share the names of any of the "overwhelming number of firms" that you speak of?

i've only heard of two that pay overtime...both large corporate firms. i'm not doubting you, just genuinely intrigued.

Jun 17, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i don't get time plus 1/2.

Jun 17, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

i think we need to become more professional by not working overtime at all. except for maybe once in a while for a big deadline.

Jun 17, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I used to get time and a half once i passed 40 hours at a corporate firm in midtown. A friend of mine also got the same at a similar firm. wasn't worth it though, the firm was terrible.

Jun 17, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Somebody may have gotten sued for not paying overtime, and some other firms took notice.

Firms legally justify not paying overtime on the grounds that you're a managerial/professional employee and thus exempt from overtime laws. However, some courts have ruled that if you're still in IDP and not yet a registered architect, you're still -- by definition -- working under somebody else's direct supervision and thus not considered exempt from overtime laws.

Jun 17, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

RmjmHillier
SOM
gensler
FXfowel
Polshek- offers comp time

i know it's mostly corporate firms….

but im sure there are many more!

Jun 17, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

oh, i almost forgot....
HOK

Jun 17, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
nosduh

I didn't know comp time was time and a half?

So for every hour I work over 40 - I can take an hour and half off?

Are they hiring?

Jun 18, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Over the last 15 years or so there have been a lot of cases of disgruntled interns and former employees calling in the Department of Labor to investigate employers. The DOL's typical finding in architecture firms is that people with professional degrees but less than one year of full time experience after graduation, and people without professional degrees who have less than 8 to 10 years of management experience and are not in management positions are entitled to paid overtime. These decisions usually require the firm to pay a couple years of back overtime to affected employees, so it can be quite expensive especially for a larger firm.
Because of that most larger firms (though not all) do comply with the labor laws these days, and many also provide overtime to a broader group of employees than they are even required to - for example all interns, or all employees below Associate or Sr. Manager level. Some smaller firms are much more likely to take the stance that they'll take their chances with the DOL, because it's rare that small firms are investigated.

Jun 18, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

does anyone know what the situation was 10, 20, 30+ years ago? what i'm wondering is if this is a growing trend that's going to start affecting more medium and smaller firms.

Jun 18, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: