Archinect
anchor

sf to toronto

cjnubbins

Hi all,

I will possibly be moving to Toronto by year's end and would like any words of wisdom you have about relocating there from San Francisco. I've taken a look at the firm suggestions posted on here and welcome any more suggestions. Otherwise, I'm interested in knowing more about actually living in Toronto, compared to San Francisco.

How cold are the winters really and how long does it last?

How's the public transit system in the city?

How much is rent for a one-bedroom apartment?

What salary should I expect if I have 3 years of experience in an architecture office?

I know taxes are much higher in Canada than here - how does this impact you?

What is the likelihood of obtaining a visa?

Answer to any of the above would be incredibly helpful as I research the feasibility of my move. Also, any additional information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 17, 08 4:38 pm
bowling_ball

I haven't lived in San Francisco, but I can tell you a few things about Toronto (I lived there for 5+ years)

----->How cold are the winters really and how long does it last?

Much colder than San Fran, for sure, but not terrible. It doesn't regularly get below 0 F, but it does on occasion, so expect that (buy a wam coat and a hat and some gloves). Winter weather (ie snow) normally starts around late December, and lasts until mid or late March. We don't all live in igloos up here. At least not since 2002, when we got electricity. ;)

----->How's the public transit system in the city?

Quite good. It's not NY but the subway system usually gets you where you need to go. There are streetcars as well (many with dedicated lanes). You don't need a car in Toronto. Major street routes are 24 hours, subway goes until 1 or 2 am, depending. The only annoyance are the regular strikes that happen, thanks to the douche who heads the union.

----->How much is rent for a one-bedroom apartment?

Typically 1 bdrms would start at about $1000, but that's highly dependent on location. Craigslist can help, or you can check viewit.ca as well.

----->I know taxes are much higher in Canada than here - how does this impact you?

Sales taxes are higher, yes, but income tax for somebody in your tax bracket is going to be 22.77%, most likely, before any deductions. Ontario's provincial taxes are lower than most other provinces, and as a whole you'll find they're in line with what you're paying now.

---->What is the likelihood of obtaining a visa?

Can't help you too much there, but I wouldn't plan on coming up and hoping to find a job and then getting a visa.... it usually works the other way around, just as if I were to go to the US in search of a job. That's something you'll have to find out from your Canadian embassy, etc, or search the gov't website.

Jun 17, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: