Archinect
anchor

freehand drawing technique

weem_of_crete

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for drawing straight lines freehand. Bend at the wrist, keep the wrist locked, etc? Thanks.

Jun 17, 08 12:42 am
SDR

For lines parallel to and not far from the edge of the pad, crook a pinky or other finger over the edge, and slide. . .

Or -- just pay attention to where you want the pencil to go, constantly micro-correcting as necessary. Focus. . .

Jun 17, 08 1:05 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

clear your mind

Jun 17, 08 1:10 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Blow some radical weed. I think that's how DaVinci drew that perfect four-foot circle on the wall. . .

Jun 17, 08 1:14 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

red wine. bob dylan records. cigarettes.

Jun 17, 08 1:16 am  · 
 · 
induct

Genetics

Jun 17, 08 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

It's easier to pull straight lines towards you. If you try to draw a straight line across the page, your arm will naturally be trying to pull the line into an arc.

Jun 17, 08 1:29 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Good one. I've got plenty of sketches that look like they melted in the sun. . .

Jun 17, 08 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Keep the other guy's hands away from the strait edge.

Jun 17, 08 5:48 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

what i usually do is draw the line quickly so i dont have time to screw up

Jun 17, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ohsnap

isnt the cool thing to do is have a skew it everything anyways?...

Jun 17, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
TOPOgrapher

grip the pen/ pencil in its middle between your index finger and thumb, not the 'writing' way..and cut across quickly..90% successful

Jun 17, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHlTORTURE

don't draw against a straight edge put place a straight edge as a guide

Jun 17, 08 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
meta

practice practice practice... thats all it takes

Jun 18, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

you dont need to sketch........ theres programs for that stuff.....

Jun 18, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

meta's right. as a visiting instructor said, you have to "sit on your ass and draw, draw, draw". . .

Jun 18, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

first: since it hasn't been said and isn't always obvious if you're just getting going, is to draw a confident line. none of this sketchy, feeling-it-out kind of stuff. put the pen(cil) down and draw the thing like you mean it.

second: a wiggly straight line can be as beautiful and meaningful as a straight straight line. the particular way you wiggle your line is what will make it yours and will, as you perfect your own wiggly-straight technique, become part of your personal drawing style.

Jun 19, 08 7:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: