Archinect
anchor

Help me decide?

face7

I would like to learn how to do 3d graphics. More in the Architectural rendering and interior video graphics. The only thing is I'm undecided if I should go to a trade school like any Art Institute and agree to a few expensive years?
Go to a Community college and take a few cheaper classes? Another option would be to just buy a few programs and books and teach myself?
On my last option what would be the ideal programs that are being used in the market right now?

Any help would be great!

Jun 16, 08 3:33 pm
21Ronin

Get a cracked copy and start playing. That's the best way how to learn. Tutorials, help (in the program), etc.

Good luck.

Jun 16, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
iamsam

i agree with 21. I think the best way to learn a program is to sit down and figure it out yourself. find a friend to ask questions to--they are a lot cheaper

Jun 16, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

utorrent. download. books. cad2008. rivet. hand draw.

Jun 16, 08 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I've always found the best way to learn any software program is to just sit down and play. The help "button" really does help but it always helps to have friends around who know it too. Now get goin' and enjoy.

Jun 16, 08 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
binary

once you learn graphics/modelling programs, then you too can work in a firm without any prior work experience

Jun 16, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

without a degree, won't you be limiting your potential for future advancement, if you happen to care about such things.

Jun 16, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

degrees dont mean anything..... gotta have that rendering skill.....

hott designers work in sketchup and viz....thats where it's at....

Jun 16, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
iamsam

a 'degree' is a lot different than a 'certificate' from a community college. it doesnt matter how you learn something as long as you can produce (when it comes to computer skills)

Jun 16, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

go to architecture school

Jun 16, 08 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

go to the cheapest arch school/program

use the extra money and buy a nice computer

become a viz/sketchup wizard

then you'll be in anywhere......

dont worry about really doing projects either....

just learn the hottness and you'll be fine

Jun 16, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

spend more money on the computer than school, buy a sweet desk and black pants/ shirts, hottness is right, you'll have no problems getting a dream job if you are a sketchup wizard. it is the one and only cutting edge program

Jun 16, 08 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
binary

it's the wave of the future.............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jun 17, 08 12:10 am  · 
 · 
binary

gotta have the cordless keyboard and mouse and then some neon by the motherboard....... witha strobe light to make it like a german rave...

\then its hottness

Jun 17, 08 12:55 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

while listening to this album:

http://www.ernieputto.de/lebowski/lebowski37.jpg

Jun 17, 08 1:28 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Depends on if you want to just make pretty renderings, or if you want a career in 3D viz. If you want to design, take design classes (that may or may not have 3D).

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/
is a super, super resource. "Buy" all the stuff there, get through it and you'll be an ace.

Spend tons of time on www.cgtalk.com, www.cgarchitect.com, etc.

You can learn almost everything yourself, but if you have a chance to go to a school of this level, do it. A local community college most likely will only teach you what a few chapters in a book would.

FYI - I agree with others statements, when I look to hire someone (yup, made a business/career out of 3D), I could careless what degrees or certificates they have. Show me a few images and I'll know what you can do.

Jun 17, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i've always found books very helpful when learning 3d. noodling is fine to start out, but to really get inside the program, you need outside information whether from a teacher or a book. books are cheaper than teachers.

programs to learn for architectural rendering: rhino, 3dmax, maxwell, illustrator, photoshop

Jun 17, 08 8:57 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

how much time is spent on rendering in an office? where i work, our modeling is done in sketchup and then rendered through Artlantis i think. i obviously dont do much of it at work

but i have heard a lot of debate about what is best to use, and since sketchup and artlantis can be fairly quick without having to do a ton of photoshop, thats why its a fav here

its not crazy super advanced renderings though, but 99% of the time here, the clients dont want, need, or pay for that anyway

just curious if people working in arch firms here do a lot of super high quality rendering at work
i remember the ones where people at school would spend an entire weekend on one render
of course they werent really that fast with it, but still, very timely

Jun 17, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
face7

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll be buying some bootleg programs and start working on them.

I'm already a JC at the firm I'm at but my sketch up and 3d skills are minimal. We just hired a renderer for our projects and they're paying him a ton. I just want to learn and get a promotion or that extra work.

I'll try it all. thanks again.

Jun 17, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
binary

you dont buy bootlegs.......

Jun 17, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i think you can

Jun 19, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: