Archinect
anchor

CAD grad/ future arch. student needs soulless CAD job to feed self in Boston

tford

Well, the job doesn't have to be soulless, but with all the architecture grads in the Boston area I expect to be pushed out of the market for any internship or entry level jobs at most firms.

I'm planning on moving to Boston and going to school for architecture or some kind of design in the spring, but I want to get established in Boston before I worry about school, loans, etc.

There have been numerous threads about which firms in Boston are really awesome to work for. Well, I aint getting into those.

I have a very strong knowledge of Autocad, 3ds Max, and Photoshop, and I'm familiar with Revit and Arch Desktop as well. However, my construction/documentation knowledge is limited to a two semester sequence in basic residential/commercial construction.

So, what kind of firm would hire a dude like me? (keeping in mind that my cadd and 3D modeling skills are very solid) The modular home companies, retail space planners, etc. that tend to hire folks with associate's degrees are surprisingly hard to locate.

Do any architecture firms or companies who do similar work in Boston still hire CAD grads? Or do have to go the cabinetry/millwork/kitchen design/store fixture/random metal widget design route?

Thanks for any input you guys can offer.

About 10 minutes after I got this CAD degree I realized I was in need of more education...

Jun 13, 08 9:07 pm
rehiggins

Well…I know my firm doesn't want employees that are strictly CAD operators, we're small so we all wear a couple of hats and need people that have knowledge that extends beyond being a monkey; however, we have had BAC students as employees.

I worked my way through Arch. school as a monkey for a structural engineering firm--it wasn't the best place for me per se but I got to work on a wide range of projects and saw the work of a good deal of the local firms (plus I'm now very familiar with the structural side of things).

I think if you're going to school while you're working and you have the CAD experience that you say you have then you'll be able to get a job at an Architecture firm or a related setting (structural, MEP, etc.)

Jun 15, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

I just transferred into The BAC, and even with a 2 yr AAS in Arch and 3 years office experience, I couldnt find a job. Plently of interviews, probably 12 solid (over the year) that I knew I could fill the position, and my references all told me they were contact and gave great feedback.

I flew back home this past weekend and had lunch with my previous firm's principal. He offered me an Asst Proj Mgr job on the spot, so i'm "going where the work is."

Seems like the Boston market is pretty flat right now, at least from my perspective.

Jun 22, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: