Archinect
anchor

Jobs you DO (humorous, hopefully so)

observant

Doesn't it irritate you when someone says "she does real estate" or "he does construction?"  And, what exactly does that mean?  Real estate could mean selling, brokering, developing, or analyzing.  Construction could mean site work, framing, or being a superintendent.  It's as trite as "Let's do lunch."

With architecture and design, it's "this person is an architect,"  "they are a designer," or "they work for an architectural firm."

WHAT OTHER LINES OF WORK DO PEOPLE DO?

Jul 1, 13 12:13 pm
s=r*(theta)

LOGISTICS

Jul 1, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rang

One word: "PLASTICS"

Jul 1, 13 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I think prostitutes or professional nymphs DO towns or cities, as is "Debbie Does Dallas."

Jul 1, 13 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bandit3

"Organic"

Jul 1, 13 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I think you already hit on the answer, Observant.  In general, when there's a commonly identified professional term or role, it's easier to say, "S/he's a [designer, architect, lawyer, doctor, writer, waiter, chef, producer, etcetera]."

When the field doesn't necessarily have a common practitioner type --or may have several different kinds of participants, such as real estate or construction --it's just easier to say they "do [something involved with]" that field.

My half-baked theory, yours free of charge.

Jul 1, 13 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

I doo.

Jul 1, 13 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: