Archinect
anchor

Good architecture in Berkely/SF

"The Co-op Guy"

Hey all, so next week I'm headed down to the Berkeley area to visit the co-ops and my cous, any suggestions of Good architecture to find there? I'm not really familiar with anything at all but I know theres some there. The only thing on my list right now is the MOMA. Thnks

Jun 9, 08 2:03 am
bronson, architect/assassin

I just returned from the bay area; I also hit up Berkeley: I enjoyed the big brutalist building that houses the architecture, landscape, env. design programs at UCal-Berkeley. Try and get in if you can, there was some cool stuff still laying around from the semesters end. I'm not sure about the architect.
And if you get there, then it'll be hard to miss the Music Library by Mack Scogin Merrill Elam. Its right in front of the architecture building.

Jun 9, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

Oh yeah, I definitely plan to check out the campus, I'm thinking about there for grad school even thought its a couple years off..

Jun 9, 08 2:30 am  · 
 · 
archroma

I don't have anything to add regarding Berkely in particular, but I can't wait to go back to the MOMA myself. There was a Marilyn Minter exhibit that was stunning. Very hyper-real and colorful. My personal favorite, though, was probably the Magritte. I guess I am a sucker for the surreal.

Jun 9, 08 3:04 am  · 
 · 

if they haven't torn it down yet, the art museum on the berkeley campus.

and check out some of the projects by local firm tanner leddy
maytum stacy. haight street lofts in sf is one.

Jun 9, 08 7:42 am  · 
 · 
cowerd

Go old school

Bernard Maybeck's First Unitarian Church
2401 Bancroft Way

Julia Morgan
St John's Presbyterian (Julia Morgan Theater)
2640 College Avenue

Chapel of the Chimes (weird crazy)
4499 Piedmont Avenue

Jun 9, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

I'm not sure whether it's just assumed that these are on your list or not, but here are the big contemporary pieces:

Next to the SF MOMA is the brand new Contemporary Jewish Museum by Daniel Libeskind. I just saw it yesterday on opening day.

Also in SF, Morphosis's Federal Building.

Um, and what about the De Young Museum and right across is the nearly completed California Academy of Sciences.

The UC Berkeley campus also has the new East Asian Library by Williams Tsien.

Jun 9, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

Also take a walk down Haight Street and check out some of the classic Queen Anne Victorians, as well as the head shops.

Jun 9, 08 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
kyo-ko

If you're interested and can somehow get into the Wes Havens House in Berkeley (owned by UC Berkeley), it's pretty great. I went there for a course recently and really loved the house--try contacting the school?

Jun 10, 08 1:23 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

SW - The Art Museum is still there. Drove by yesterday. It also houses the Pacific Film Archives.

Jun 10, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

[urlhttp://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114400785647691983400.00043af15c75673e111ac&ll=37.741399,-122.430954&spn=0.125973,0.197067&t=h&z=12]Architecture and Scenic map I made of the Bay Area[/url]

The East Asian Library by Todd Williams is indeed pretty damn cool

Jun 10, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

link

woops!

Jun 10, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
knock

actually, the CJM opened saturday, qkslvr

Jun 10, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: