Archinect
anchor

Leed Licence

A_Learner

I am going to take a MUD degree this August, and plan to work towards getting a LEED licence during study. I 've got a B.Arch 5 years professional degree previously (Hon1), and have been working in the last 5 years as architectural professional.

If anyone could tell me how long it takes to get a LEED licence and to prepare for its registration exam, it would be wonderful.

Jun 7, 08 1:12 am
"The Co-op Guy"

study, and take the test

Jun 7, 08 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

There is no such thing as LEED License, it is a certification and it requires only a few weeks of study. Being LEED certified, although a positive title possess, does not carry nearly the same weight as being a licensed architect or engineer.

Jun 7, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHlTORTURE

read the guide book twice and you should be good. although the leed online stuff is taking up more of the exam these days

Jun 8, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
some person

Professionals get accredited, projects get certified.

Jun 8, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Just Why, you are right, sorry for the confusion.

Jun 8, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

don't apologize - blame the usgbc for making the terminology so confusing.... the difference between accredited and certified is purely semantic and artificially exaggerated by the GBC.

Jun 8, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHlTORTURE

well would it really make sense to say a project is accredited? the terms really aren't interchangable..

Jun 8, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
vindingo

I have just started looking into getting LEED accreditation, but seem to be having a hard time finding out what it costs for an individual. Anyone know?

This may just be a silly observation, but it seems like a title that people like to have at the end of their name, which means nothing more than that they have paid to learn about green building. Maybe it should be a requirement to pass the architects exam, and then the title wont be worthless in 5 years when every design prof. has it. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, maybe it's because I just moved to SF and everyone is a tree hugger... It seems like a title bragging that you don't steal. Everyone knows you shouldn't steal (everyone knows it is responsible to build green) but why flaunt it like it is so righteous?

I apologize for the rant, back to the original question. So what does it cost to go green?

Jun 26, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I got LEED accredited almost two years ago and I have yet to use it in practice. I think simply studying for and taking the exam provides a good introduction to sustainable methodologies, but I don't think it's worth the $350 (can't remember the exact amount) test fee.

I'm finding more and more clients want their projects to be designed to LEED standards (or a specific rating), but are not willing to fork over the extra fees or devoting the resources to get them actually certified by the USGBC. They are perfectly happy simply stating that their project was designed to LEED Gold standards rather than "I have a LEED Certified Gold Building and a cheesy plaque from the USGBC to prove it".

For the handful of clients that do require a LEED certification, we usually hire a sustainability consultant just to handle the burden of doing all the LEED paperwork so we can focus on the design and production.

Like others, I think it's only a matter of time before LEED gets swallowed and adopted by the Building Codes.

Jun 26, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The LEED exam costs $300 if your firm is a USGBC member and $400 if it isn't.
There are no annual dues currently associated with LEED accreditation, though there's some discussion about requiring annual continuing ed credit submittal in the future.
If you pass you'll be included in the LEED AP Directory on gbci.org

USGBC membership is corporate level only (i.e. there's no such thing as an individual membership) and the annual dues are based on the firm's field (i.e. dues are different for architecture firms than they are for schools, government agencies, retail corporations, etc.) and on the firm's gross annual revenue. They can range from $300 to $12,500 per year depending on the above factors.
If your firm is a USGBC member it will be listed in the directory at USGBC.org

There is no direct connection between LEED accreditation and USGBC membership other than the $100 discount on test fee. A firm can be a USGBC member and have no LEED APs on staff, and a person can be a LEED AP without being affiliated with a USGBC member.

As for the title itself: the USGBC has done a good job of marketing LEED to the general public as a credential of "green-ness". I thought pretty much the same way as you about it - until so many potential clients, community members, etc. asked "are you LEED accredited?" that I felt I should really get the title after my name...

Jun 26, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
ArkyTrojan

The process is fairly simple -- you need to open an account wuth the USGBC, then register for a test through the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). Download a LEED Handbook from the USGBC Site and a Candicate Handbook.

It took me a couple months to study for it, but I'll admit I didn't study very hard until a couple weeks before the test... I'd say if you're disciplined enough to study one LEED point each day, it shouldn't take you more than a month and a half to prepare. Here's a really helpful resource: http://www.intheleed.com/ Someone taking the test put it together to help them study for LEED 2.2, and it helped me a lot.

The test is a multiple choice format where they ask you to choose the 2-3 best answers out of 5 options -- be aware that choosing one answer is not enough. In my opinion, the test is more concerned about you knowing the USGBC rules and the project certification process than it is about you actually understanding the theories behind sustainable design, but that's just my opinion...

Good luck!

Jun 26, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

all that passing the test means is that you can pass the test. doesn't mean you can design green. doesn't mean you can shuffle paper work (which is what the test is supposed to accredit). all it means is that you joined a tribe.

bL leed-ap v2.1

Jun 26, 08 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i think i paid 150 to get my builders license.......hahahhahaha......

Jun 27, 08 12:25 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what a fucking ripoff

Jun 27, 08 1:55 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Add me to the ranks of LEED AP's that got the title a couple years back but haven't yet found a client willing to "pay for the plaque."

The program is great but the USGBC need to make certification affordable. Most project budgets are tight enough already. If you could get certification for a nominal fee, say $5000 or something, I think the program would take off.

I shudder to think that someone somewhere is getting rich over this whole thing. Like Al Gore, yeah, he's got a noble message, but it'd have more meaningful impact if he lived like Ghandi. Just like if LEED certification was easy and cheap.

Jun 27, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The actual USGBC fees for a small project (under 50,000 sf) are under $5000 for registration, design and construction reviews, and certification combined.

But most clients who talk to us about LEED aren't as concerned about these administrative fees - or even about some of the construction expenses associated with LEED-compliant measures - as they are about the fees to the design team for all of the paperwork and submittals to get the building certified. Working through a LEED submittal can result in hundreds of hours on the part of the design team and/or the LEED project leader/coordinator. Those fees can exceed the actual USGBC administrative fees many time over.

Jun 27, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: