Archinect
anchor

FUSTRATED INTERN

...when all these new firms are dressed in the newest designer apparel and have there office in some swanky high end area...

HAhahahahahahahahaha! HAhahahahahahahah!

...so not true.

unless your 'newest designer apparel' comes from value city and you refer to the low-rent/soon-to-be-ok districts as 'swanky'.

Jun 9, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Babs is right on. it took me 7 years before I could apply what I learned in my masters program as it related to a project.

An engineer can run a hvac load right out of school and is worth 20 per hour.

don't forget that they tend to plateau at 5 years out while an architect can expand exponentially after 10 years.

Jun 9, 08 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
"why are architects so damn stingy?!?!?"

Like everybody, architects at all levels act in there own self interest. For some, this means working for prestigeous firms at little or no pay. For others, this means paying interns conservatively in the face of little confidence the intern can deliver much productivity.

In my experience, the vast majority of firms try to pay fair wages at all levels - in the sure and certain knowledge that abusive pay practices will, in the end, be counter-productive.

Stephen - like you, I found the false stereotype of the "typical" successful architect worthy of a belly laugh.

Jun 9, 08 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

More whining found here....

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=71790_0_42_0_C

Jun 9, 08 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

I have a question.. what are the rules regarding when you are working as "freelance" for a firm, over 40 hours a week. They pay you a set weekly pay, regardless if you work 40 or 70 hours. This pay works out to be under minimum wage. I live in NYC. Is this against the law?

Jun 11, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

beefeaters - if you are working freelance, the architect is your client. You set your own hours and fee. did you write your own contract or did they provide it for you?

Jun 17, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: