Archinect
anchor

Brooklyn Housing

21Ronin

The worst part of Bed-Stuy is much further east than Bedford. The border of Bed-Stuy and East New York is bad. So is the border of Bed-Stuy and Bushwick is bad as well. I guess it depends on how scared of black people you are.

Jun 13, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Ronin, it has nothing to do with being "scared of black people." Which I'm not, so don't turn me into a racist. I mentioned that chaptertwo should be cautious when looking at Bed-Stuy. I live right on Bedford Ave. and in the last year there have been two shootings in the projects near my apartment...which happen to be west of Bedford Ave.

Jun 14, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

I've also had friends who were harrassed (one example is being spit on) while walking home one night past the projects. Also, as a woman, I'm regularly subjected to cat calls, lewd comments, etc. when I walk down the street. I just think that if chaptertwo is thinking about moving to this area with his girlfriend, then he should be aware of some of the things that he might have to put up with.

Jun 14, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

It happens. I am not saying that Bed-Stuy is perfect. Obviously its not. But I never said that anyone is racist. People's perception of Bed-Stuy definitely could very easily depend on a person's comfort level around black people. So, to avoid the paranoia of being a racist, just stick to what I wrote. I am sure that women get cat calls in different neighborhoods as well.

But, to be fair, I think that one could say that if you are not comfortable around black people, then you shouldn't move to Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. It has a strong African American history and it is predominantly black.

Jun 14, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

pardon the grammar.

Jun 14, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

I'm living in Bushwick, off the L train. 800-900 sq ft. loft apartment with 2 built bedrooms. Split with 3 people we pay $550 a month each. It's not hard to find cheap places, you just have to get roommates.

Jun 15, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

just revisiting this thread... DW just curious are you off morgan or jefferson? or further out (halsey/wilson?) I used to live in a loft off of morgan a couple of years ago and had to get out because the rent was rising rapidly, now almost double what you're paying, that area got popular quick.

Jul 7, 08 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

montrose stop, 1 block into the industrial section. we lucked out, i think.

Jul 7, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yea i'd say... you're not in the mckibben lofts are you?

Jul 8, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
dedubs

i couldn't handle that intensity.. i live a few blocks over from it.

Jul 9, 08 7:54 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

that place is definitely a cesspool.

maybe we should have the next ny archinect meet up at kings' county

Jul 9, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i was unfortunate enough to spend most of the day in brownsville, alone. hands down the most terrifying experience of my life. thank god i was wearing blue.

Jul 11, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Mirin

not to hijack this thread (though I am) but has anyone have any luck finding things in harlem or morningside/ UWS?

Jul 13, 08 9:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: