Archinect
anchor

Extended Travel in Europe (+90 days)

I've done some research and cannot find an answer to my question. I will be working for 90 days in an office in Western Europe after which I'd like to travel for a month or so. Because my work stay is 90 days or less I am not required to get a visa. But knowing that I'd like to stay beyond the allowed 90 day travel that my US passport allows, what type of documents will I need to get? Are there temporary travel visas? Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

I heard if I travel to a non-EU country even for a day that my 90 days is reset when I return to the EU, but I also came across something that stated I could not stay more than 90 days within a 180 day time frame.

Jun 2, 08 4:12 pm
sgnt13

you will need a work visa anyways if you plan on getting paid.

Jun 2, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

I have a work permit and an agreement with the office I will be working for that includes payment. I'm just concerned about travel time after the temporary employment concludes and after my initial 90 days. Any ideas?

Jun 2, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
joe

once you cross into a different country isnt the clock reset so to speak?

Jun 2, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

one of my instructors just told me the same thing.... i think.... lets say im in london for 90 days, then i go to barcelona... what you (and he) are saying is that i get a new 90. can anyone confirm this?

Jun 2, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I know the EU encompases all the countries, but they are still all separate countries. for instance they all have their own work permits, so it makes sense to me that they would have their own immigration/customs/whatever policies, which based on that logic would mean that one country would have nothing to do with the others 90 day limit. so by going into another country, which by being an american, I'm assuming, you dont need a visa you can go for as long as they let you, and then move once again in theory.

Jun 2, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

that's what im hoping, thanks for the information

Jun 2, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

i have been in school here (europe) for a year without a student visa(US citizen)...basically, if you leave the EU and then come right back in, you get another 90 days. I went back for Christmas and also traveled to non EU countries...I have no visa just a passport and have traveled a good bit with no problems.

Jun 3, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

mjh... did you have a stay of longer than 90 consecutive days in eu countries? or did you always travel away and then back before the 90 days.

Jun 3, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

just came across this:

"It is important to note that the 90 days visa-free stay for citizens of Australia, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Japan, New Zealand, and the United States of America apply for the whole Schengen area, i.e. it is not 90 days per country as some assume. Citizens of the above countries who wish to travel around Europe for longer than 90 days must apply for a residency permit. This is best done in Germany, as all other Schengen countries require applicants to apply from their home countries."

Jun 4, 08 3:47 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Years ago I was there for over 90 days no problem. I hardly believe that any EU country is going to give much trouble to an American that's on holiday. So long as you are spending money in their economy and not trying to work or conduct criminal activity I can't imagine they'll hunt you down and deport you.

Jun 4, 08 9:07 am  · 
 · 
mation

What type of work permit will you be working under? As I recall, the BUNAC scheme for students or recent graduates is for 6 months. I did that once.

I'm now in Europe on a 5-yr professional work permit. I have a couple of friends who have done what mjh seems to be doing. One has gotten more and more hassle from immigration officers upon each re-entry, and the other was actually deported. Any time someone gets deported, they get a big black 'X' on their passport which raises a big flag any time you ever have you travel internationally in the future, and even when they get a new passport down the road, I think that it's still on their digital record.

So, be careful, but IMO, if you have a 90-day work permit and then travel a bit more within the EU and are not making money illegally, you would be fine.

Jun 4, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I'm not sure about this, but this is what I know:

Last fall (2007), I was in Germany for a study abroad program through school. We were there for longer than 90 days, so we had to apply for student visas for the 10 days or so beyond our 90 visa-free days, which was relatively easy. We had left Germany several times as a group, so I know the 90 days when you leave one EU country for another. I'm not sure if it would have had we gone to Switzerland, for example, but I assume not because the same program this fall is restricted to 90 days because it is apparently considerably more difficult to get the extension visa now. I'm sure if it was a simple as resetting the clock, they would do so through a trip out of the EU.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a way around it by getting a visa, but I wouldn't count on a resetting clock.

Jun 4, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

most countries won't stamp your passport when you cross lines-much like traveling in the states-even Switzerland. So no way to "reset" the 90 days.
I am going as a student for 92 days and am required to get a student visa...you might check in to getting that.

Jun 4, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: