Archinect
anchor

chicago - product sources

zepplin100

Going to Chicago for neocon, and I'd like use this opportunity to explore any less known, or out of the way product/material boutiques. What are the sources you like to use? Not looking for anything specific just a good selection of lights, tile, furniture, fixtures, appliances, or etc to browse and touch. I'm not very familiar with Chicago, and I hope there is more to be found than the mega brands at merchandise mart. I'll be most grateful for any suggestions. My hotel is near Rush & Superior so ideally something nearby. Thanks in advance.

Jun 1, 08 8:28 pm
evilplatypus

The Merchandise Mart is enormous - you will find plenty of out of the way dealers inside in addition to the well known ones. The problem at Neocon is the shear amount of traffic, be prepared to use the stairs as the elevartor lines are quite absurd. Still - the mainstream mfr like Kohler still impress at the mart. Also on the first floor is Poliform ( or Poggen Pohl - i mix them up), Ernestomeda Kitchen systems is awesome, Valcucine - Basically the first floor is residential cool stuff. Anne Sacks tile is really good selection of styles. I never really get above that floor. More furniture and interior related products above the first floor - some really specific and small - like specialty fabrics.

Generally the entire distric around the Mart is full of the places your looking for. Theres a good tile place just north of the mart on hubbard. Lightology is about 5 blocks north at Clark and Chicago Ave. Morr-Sharp is a local distributer for a large selection of cool lighting - they are on State St. in the Loop and I think have a showroom but most of their products will have booths at NeoCon

I wish I knew more obscure designer products but I am just an architect - our interiors people get deeper into the products. Im more nuts and bolts.

My advice is to wander around and just pop into anywhere you like. A walk north on Franklin from the mart to Chicago Ave. will uncover something to your liking. Hope you enjoy the show.

Jun 1, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

some products at next weeks neocon link

Jun 5, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
ether

you mean like cannabis?

Jun 5, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

no one's mentioned my favorite hardware shop yet : Hafele, probably familiar to all thru the catalogue, has recently opened a new shop where you can try out all their awesome hardware. For those of us with hardware fetishes, it's heaven. They're around the corner from the Mart on Hubbard, I believe.

And yes, pretty much everything you need to see is right around the Mart, in a cluster extending north along Wells and around the side streets : Hubbard, the 'Great Lakes' streets (Erie, Superior, Huron, etc.), and up to Chicago.

There's some good fabricators located around the Ravenswood area if you want to check that out as well. Metalworkers, some wood crafters and suppliers (like the Behr company which sources all FSC harvested wood), etc...

Jun 6, 08 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Hydrology at Lasalle St. and Hubbard St. has many impressive custom high end bathroom and kitchen fixtures. It is worth a visit if you get a chance. I believe there also several lighting stores near by.

Jun 8, 08 12:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: