Archinect
anchor

From start to finish - the design and construction of an eco-modern home

jeremy bell

It's still very much in the early stages of design, but I've started to document the design and construction of an eco-modern house I'm building in Toronto. We don't have much to show yet, other than a few drawings and cool cardboard model... but I think she's moving along nicely.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.360winnett.co

Jun 1, 08 3:40 pm

.com?

Jun 1, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Ha... yeah! Not too sure how i managed to mistype that one, but she's definitely .com.

http://www.360winnett.com

Hmm... any idea how to edit a previous post? I'm guessing that's not possible.

Jun 1, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

no editing allowed but if the editors pick it up, they might help.

nice site, jeremy. look forward to checking back. also, since you started the blog in the middle of what was probably a pretty involved design process, i'm sure we'd like to hear more about that. catch us up, y'know?

is altius the name of the arch firm? can you let us in on how decisions have been made and how your own process has been?

Jun 1, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Thanks Steven.

Indeed, I'm planning on writing about the initial stages of the process as well... although, we only started working with Altius about 2.5 months ago, so we're not too far along. Regardless, I've got about 10 "draft" posts in the queue that will document everything right from the beginning.

I've also got our budget setup via Google Docs, and ready to be published as well. Google Docs is actually pretty slick - when I start punching in actual costs, you can see the data changing in realtime.

My goal is complete transparency with this project, but my wife is a little reluctant to share the monetary side of things. We both think it's possible to build an eco-modern home on a sensible budget, and if I don't share the costs during the actual process, I'll definitely post them at the end.

Jun 1, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the poets want to know how you are designing for shear...

Jun 1, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Hey Vado... I'm not sure I'm following you. What do the poets what to know? I promise I'll do my best to fit my response in the form of a Haiku ;)

Jun 1, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

is the model made of recycled cardboard?

Jun 1, 08 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Good question - I'm not sure if it's made of recycled cardboard, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was (our architects are quite eco-conscious). And if it's not, I'll be sure to toss it in the blue bin when we're done!

Jun 1, 08 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

jeremy bell

better yet, use it as the model for your next project

Jun 1, 08 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

My coworkers think I should clad it and use it as a birdhouse. That, or give it to my neighbor's kid to use as a dollhouse. I'm thinking Barbie's convertible would look fantastic in the driveway.

Jun 1, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

Jeremy,

i noticed your dilema regarding window selection. my opinion is that you can't call it an "eco-modern home" if you use vinyl windows. . . . 2 reasons:

here is some information regarding vinyl windows. (i hope the link works since i don't do this very often). it might be wikipedia, but it sums up most of the information that i have read regarding the badness of vinyl (discoloration, off-gassing, dioxins created during production).

modern homes (and other buildings) didn't use the clunky and chunky lines that are inherant with vinyl window frames.

i suggest using steel windows though thermally broken windows are hard, if not impossible to find. i would also suggest wood windows that are FSC certified. wood windows tend to be chunky like vinyl but i think you can satisfy both the eco requirement and modern requirment with a wood window.

so far, the design looks interesting. can you tell us about the site? the design looks like it's an infill project. do you have photos of the site? why did you and your wife decide to build using sustainable concepts? what else can you tell us about house- views, spaces, program, unique features, other sustainble systems like HVAC (ground source heat pump?), hot water generation, PV panels, passive measures, etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride

Jun 2, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

I couldn't agree more regarding the windows - I definitely want to go with wood (or fiberglass, which has also been suggested) over vinyl. However, price is definitely going to play a huge role in our decisions. Unfortunately, there will be many sustainability vs cost trade-offs throughout this entire endeavor.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "infill", but the house is on a lot that is 33 x 96. We're going to be tearing down our existing home (foundation as well), and will be rebuilding something entirely new. You can find some photos of our existing place here:

http://www.360winnett.com/photos/album/1826734/The-Old-House.html

We started this project wanting to build a modern home, but sustainability wasn't really a priority. I had assumed it would be entirely cost prohibitive, however I've started to become quite interested in topic and am actively investigating our options.

I suppose the most unique feature would be the large clerestory that's in the middle of the home. It extends two stories, and will have operable windows at the top. Its purpose was to utilize as much natural light as possible so we could minimize the use of lights. An added bonus is that it'll help heat the home in the winter (minimally of course), and we'll be able to vent the hot air in the summer. At least that's the idea.

Beyond that, I'm hoping to build an ICF foundation, and use spray foam for insulation. While we're not expecting to do a green roof immediately, but it will be built to support one in the future. We're also planning on capturing rainwater in some fashion, but we're undecided how.

I haven't gotten too far into the other mechanical systems yet, so I'm not sure how far we'll go in the other areas. As I mentioned above, cost will play a huge role in all of this. I'd love to be as sustainable as possible, but I recognize I cannot afford that luxury.

Jun 2, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

can you explain how this house is sustainable? you are tearing down an existing structure (including the foundation) and building a new structure in its place. if this is your definition of sustainable then i will argue the las vegas strip is sustainable. you can use ICF's, SIP,s, blah, blah, blah, but you fail miserably on the idea of an eco-friendly house. where is all the waste from your existing house going to end up - the landfill?

i recently had a heated discussion with the project manager for a "green" home that is being built locally. the project is intended to promote a green lifestyle, but the house is 4000 s.f. i am sure there will be a hybrid SUV in the driveway that doesn't get any better gas mileage than my diesel truck with 37" tires. as designers we need to stop stroking our egos thinking we are creating a "green" world just because we throw a few green product into our projects. we need to change lifestyles more so than buildings.

Jun 2, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

The old house is lovely. Put your money into making the old house a net-zero energy building and you'll have a truly sustainable home.

Jun 2, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Maybe you can get your new house LEED certified..."Lunatic Environmentalists Enthusiastically Demolishing"

Jun 2, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

actually jjh does make a good point. i am going to be a bit more positive and not bash you for your decision to demolish the old house, but could it have been possible to save more of it? is there a plan for the re-use of the existing house materials. you could crush the old foundations and use this as the binder for your new concrete foundation. you could reuse your old windows and doors (although i'm sure they aren't energy efficient ones, but you could use them on areas like screened porches, etc.).
also it is interesting that you mention prefab.....many people make the mistaken assumption that prefab=cheaper...not so, in fact just the opposite...it usually means more expensive per sq ft. than conventional construction.
also, i am hoping that your new house is located close within a walkable neighborhood in close proximity to your place of business. minimizing car use and increasing walkability are two of the easiest things to do in a sustainable project and are made in the first decisions of the project......
after you get to that point...don't install HVAC, minimize the size of your boiler as much as possible, insulate properly and make sure you don't need to use lighting during the daytime and you have gone a long way toward being sustainable.

Jun 2, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Well, I never said the house would be "100% sustainable" or net-zero, but we are trying to do as much as possible given our budget. In fact, we greatly reduced the footprint of the home, simply so we could build it greener. Not 100% green mind you, but better than it would have been.

As I mentioned above, we started this project because we needed more room. Our intent was solely to build a bigger home... but our priorities have definitely changed along the way. That said, trade-offs will still be a reality.

As for the original house, I would love to recycle/reuse everything... I just don't think it's entirely possible. We had originally intended to build on our existing foundation, however our proximity to a neighbor made it problematic.

Crushing and reusing the foundation is actually a possibility given our flat roof (we're investigating covering it with crushed gravel). I hadn't considered recycling it before, I'm definitely going to look into it now.

As for the rest of the house, we're going to be selling/giving away as much of it as possible (the kitchen cabinets, radiators, boiler, etc). However, I'm not delusional to think that'll make much of an impact and I assume most of it will end up in a landfill. I hadn't considered recycling programs, but it's something I'll look into now.

As for changing my lifestyle - the whole reason we started this project was so we didn't have to move. We could have gotten way more bang for our buck had we moved out of the city, but that would have meant more driving. We're currently 5 min from the subway, and if I'm not taking public transit, I'm riding my motorcycle.

This is no mkSolaire, nor I'm not expecting this home to be a poster child for LEED construction, but as futureboy said, I'm hoping to "minimize the size of my boiler, insulate properly and make sure I don't need to use lighting during the daytime".

Hopefully those are a few steps in the right direction. I'm not sure I can give you a better answer than that.

Jun 2, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Sounds like you are taking steps to minimize the consequences of demolishing the existing house. One of the biggest issues seem to be having someone involved in the process as soon as possible to lead things in the right direction. From what you've said you realized this along the way, but maybe a few steps later than you would have liked. I'm glad you've decided to go this route when it wasn't in the original scope and let it take over many more parts of the house and play a role in the decision making process.
I'm most intrigued by the thought of seeing a budget develop with the house. I think this could be one of the more interesting aspects of the project. Many decisions are based off of cost and its a very important part of the process many architects like to ignore to some degree. I hope theres an estimated "before" budget and a real "after" budget. You are right it doesn't have to cost more, but that requires serious planning and good design. The budget could prove your point, or it could act as a visual representation of your pain and regret at the time. Should be interesting to watch develop though, thanks for the link.

Jun 3, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

I fear the net result won't be as black & white as you'd expect. The reality is that we're reacting along the way, and we're constantly adjusting values as the quotes come in. So at the end, the before and after will only depict how accurate the quotes were.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Google Docs will allow me to graph the budget fluctuations over time? It tracks revisions from day to day, so it at least seems plausible. That would definitely go along way to visualizing the various trade-offs, as you'd see where and when the money was moved around.

Hmm... I'll have to investigate.

Jun 3, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Well, it appears as if we've gotten approval from the city, and we're just finishing up the construction drawings before we apply for our building permits. Demolition is tentatively scheduled for July 21st.

Jun 16, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Just a quick update - We've submitted our plans for our building permit, however we're now investigating the usage of ICFs (nudura) to the roof. Price-wise, it appears to be very similar to traditional stick framing + spray foam throughout. It'll probably be a little more, but we're investigating how much more. We're also moving out of the house tomorrow, and we've tentatively scheduled a demolition date of August 4th (although I'm expecting that'll change if we decide to proceed with ICFs to the roof).

Jeremy
http://www.360winnett.com

Jul 17, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
jjh

consider using SIPs instead of ICFs. the construction will be faster and your wall thickness will be closer to conventional framing. also, you can use SIPs for the roof. overall your house will have a high R-value, but you will need to have an air exchanger and possibly a de-humidification system installed. i designed a house using SIPs for the walls and roof. in the apartment above the detached garage a air exchange unit wasn't installed and during the winter mold started to form on the windows since the house doesn't "breathe" very well. retrofitting is a bitch, but the client was living in the apartment while the house was being finished so the occupant load was higher then expected. damn those learning experiences.

Jul 17, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

We investigated using SIPs, but we had a hell of a time finding a contractor who would give us an accurate quote (it was usually just time and materials). Apparently SIPs aren't used all that much in Toronto (who knew?). Regardless of the approach, we'll also be installing an Heat Recovery Ventilator to address the breathing issue you described.

Jul 17, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
jeremy bell

Well, the house came down on Monday. It's nothing but a hole at the moment...

For those interested, I cut together a quick video of the house coming down: http://www.360winnett.com/videos/demolition/

Aug 30, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm in the midst of a sip project hybrid....wondering where jjh is from.
In regards to air exchanger and dehumidification. Were also looking at geothermal closed deep well system.

Aug 31, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: