Archinect
anchor

shameless self-promotion re: new blog!

Me again,

I am starting a new blog, called Living In Los Angeles Without A Car which is fairly straight-forward in terms of subject matter, I think. I would like it to be a resource for anyone in the Los Angeles region who is interested in alternative forms of transportation. I will be speaking from experience, obviously, since I don't own a car and I live here, but I am also looking for contributors to share posting duties, probably once a week or so. If you know anyone else who lives in LA who doesn't own a car, or is bike- or bus- or train-friendly (and savvy), please pass this on. Also if you are interested in contributing yourself, I would certainly appreciate your help! Let me know!

:o)

Thanks,
-Emily

May 23, 08 2:03 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

what, are you a commie?

j/k

May 23, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

LILAWAC - i love the acronym!

May 23, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Tee hee. Thanks :o)

May 23, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you ought to try living in new mexico without a car. now that's a challenge.

May 23, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

EK - Are you made out of time?

May 23, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

I am, in fact, made out of time. You should see it when I go places. Matter bends around me, just like in The Matrix. Without the bad dialogue though.

May 23, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i've witnessed this^. it's quite stunning.

May 23, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
BrianBuchalski

I recently lived in the Midwest (Ann Arbor, Michigan) without a car for almost 4 years. That was a challenge but all the walking was definitely good for my health. On the other hand, the 30+ minute walks in sub-freezing weather tended to leave me in a very ornery mood.

May 23, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

the city code works against you

the code for building is car centric
33% of all space is reserved for cars

i think if you were to be more people who didn't want to drive or couldn't afford to drive cars we need whole new cities build around the concept otherwise forget it.

May 23, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

May 23, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oooops,..need I that resized!...

but here is the link..I love these photos!

http://danharrelson.com/images/skitch/car-bus-bike-20071107-111105.jpg

Anyway, I am into the blog!!!!!!!!!!.. I am moving to LA in two months..and I have no car, only a bike, a scooter...hope it works out..I am moving to Westwood for school...

May 23, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

like when you go to a party and there is no place to park but there really isn't that many people there...

May 23, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
nsproductions

I'm doing the same this summer, but in San Diego

Are you at SCI Arc? I want to come check out the school one of these weekends

May 23, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i lived in atlanta for 2 years without a car!

May 24, 08 10:52 am  · 
 · 
bottronix

skateboards are the shit yo!

Jun 4, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

After driving 100+ miles a day working in construction around Chicagoland, Ive been car free for 2.5 years. I just rent a car when I need one. I cant believe how easy it is.

But I go to the same office every day. if your a mobile person, say construction manager - you have to have a car.

Jun 4, 08 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

As a fifth-generation Angeleno, I'll let you in on the secret question we're always trying to figure out around here:

"If four of us are going, how can we take five cars?"

Jun 5, 08 1:31 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

citizen, have you seen swingers?

Jun 5, 08 1:49 am  · 
 · 

Only a couple of weeks in, and we've already got two new contributors for LILAWAC....one of which is a familiar face on Archinect.....if anyone else would like to contribute, I'm really interested in making this blog all about transportation in LA. Goodness knows we have enough to talk about!

Jun 5, 08 2:15 am  · 
 · 
citizen

No, Dread, I haven't... but it's on my list.

Jun 5, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Emily congrats on the new blog. Shameless plugs is what its all about. How long has it been since you've been carless? What's the longest stretch without stepping into a car? a bus?

Jun 5, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 

please don't let this happen to you though,

you are far too precious to archinect

Jun 5, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

fuck...where did you get that image?!....I think I wet myself.

Jun 5, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, that's crazy.

it's a real photograph of a drunk driver plowing into a bicycle race in the mexican state of matamoros last weekend.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/sports/87334.php

Jun 5, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: