this is pre-hole era

May 23, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i imagine it's very golden.

May 23, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The only good thing about working in that building is that I wouldn't have to see it outside my window.

May 23, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

this building facinates yet disgusts

May 23, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

it could be fantastic inside. there's no way of telling from that view.

May 23, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Isn't that the building outside of Pittsburgh on I-279 before the Fort Pitt tunnel?

If not it looks just like it.

May 23, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think it's out in Rosemont (Chicago 'burb, near O'Hare), but I could be wrong.

May 23, 08 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i rather like it but then i like anything that's severe. if i had to work in the suburbs...something like that would be my preferred choice.

of course, as a designer i'm now having fantasies about the interior. although i love the idea of the gold glass concealing some awesome climate controlled lush interior with tropical flowers filling atriums and hanging off of brutalist concrete terraces...if the reality is just one of endless cubicles & suspended acoustical tile ceilings then that might actually be even better. i think i'm feeling a bit nostalgic for those old days when I worked in sales and we had our offices in the most bland of suburban office buildings.

May 23, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
binary
May 23, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

i'm with gin. often the best thing about a building is the view from it.

May 23, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
mk2

hahaha.. it does look like I-90

May 25, 08 1:45 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i was browsing a few progressive architecture magazines from the 80's borrowed from my boss and found an ad for PPG Solarban Gold Twindow. it looks like that building used the same product.

here's the pitch...

The Midland Life Insurance Building, Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The centerpiece of a far-reaching urban renewal program. And a triumph in modern center city architecture.

One reason for the building's success is 26,000 square feet of energy-conserving PPG Solarban Gold Twindow reflective glass. A breathtaking building skin that, literally, has earned it's way into this design.

The Standard For Beauty

Perhaps the most striking characteristic of Solarban Gold is its true color. It isn't brassy or greenish like many other gold reflective glasses. Instead, its rich golden tone is distinctive and elegant. An excellent way to bring out the best in any innovative design. Yet Solarban Gold never looks out of place. Its reflective qualities allow it to blend easily and naturally into practically any surroundings.

May 26, 08 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: