Archinect
anchor

Who on Archinect could you work in an office w/ or collaborate?

s=r*(theta)

post says it all!

Jun 18, 13 12:22 pm
med.

Everyone!  :D

Because when it comes to architecture, it is a business.  And when it comes to business I feel no choice but to work with everyone whether I like it or not.

Jun 18, 13 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

donna sink and i have already worked together as instructors of a design studio for high school students. met her here on archinect! 

Jun 18, 13 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

The people that have made "Thread Central" their home. Oh, and Xenakis, as long as he isn't allowed to use a computer.

Jun 18, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

anyone who Synchs and relinguishes worksets

Jun 18, 13 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

@med,

i wish i had the unique ability to work w/ anyone & everyone, there are those who make me want to stick me head in the laser cutter and push start!

Jun 18, 13 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I admire Med's can-do attitude.

This interesting question points up (for me) the sometimes-drastic difference between online an interpersonal behavior.  Some of the venom and vitriol that gets spewed online would keep me far away from many folks, if that's all I had to go on.  However, and critically, face-to-face interactions are almost always much more civil, if not downright congenial -even amid fundamental disagreements.  Thank God.

So, I'm with Med.

Jun 18, 13 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Of course, some would be easier and more fun to work with than others!  Donna, for example  ;o)

Jun 18, 13 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Observant and gwharton.  i think our personalities would fit like a glove.  or not.

my vitriol doesn't come out as often irl.

Jun 18, 13 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Observant and gwharton.  i think our personalities would fit like a glove.  or not.

my vitriol doesn't come out as often irl.

Yeah.  That could be a wild card.  I don't know if I would call my "stuff" vitriol, but I am opinionated and generally irreverent, though not in the spiritual sense, and most people who know me seem to enjoy the latter.

As for things in common, you once mentioned the parochial school "option" in KC and larger cities in talking about city life.  Are you a product of that type of schooling?  Having been through it, that's like a fraternity and sorority of its very own.

Also, I don't even know if I should be an architect.  I test as an ISTJ.  Yes, of the psychobabble, I believe in THAT venue.  It does not indicate architecture as one of the recommended career paths.  On the other hand, I would never be a cop!  So, maybe I should ignore this Jungian inspired model.

Jun 18, 13 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"This interesting question points up (for me) the sometimes-drastic difference between online an interpersonal behavior."

GREAT POINT!! I was proposing the OP based on the former.

Jun 18, 13 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

I don't workshare well with others..

Jun 18, 13 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

If I was in a room with Quondam and beta I'd be drowning - that conversation would be way above my head.

Steven and I have worked together.  vado and I have worked together.  Rusty and I have worked together (online and telephone only).  I've advised manta on one of his/her projects (telephone).  I've served on juries with a half a dozen Archinecters I know by both real and screen name.

You guys, I'm old and I've been here a long time!  But these are all people I've *met* on Archinect.  It's a professional networking site, for real.

Jun 18, 13 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

re: observant

i wonder if we ever did meet in real life, would you suddenly assume that i went to a parochial school?  why would that matter to you?  what if i was in a fraternity?

there is a lot of personal information i've given on this site, but then there is a lot of stuff i haven't.  you seem to have filled in a lot of blanks based on assumptions i wouldn't have made.  think you can guess my hair color or my eye color?

my schooling is pretty far behind me.  it's not something i dwell on.  i'm proud of my alma maters and such, and follow their football teams, but my past in general is not as big of a deal to me as you might think.

Jun 18, 13 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

You're right.  It doesn't matter.  And the fraternity thing wasn't a separate issue or observation.  I just meant that kids who went to parochial schools have this shared heritage of rites of passage, humor, and great stories which makes them a fraternity or a sorority, though not in the same sense as the collegiate Greek system.  I look back at it for its humorous value because it often makes for lifetime friends and because the education wasn't any better than in the public schools, and catechism got boring sooner than later.

And it was amazing how I made many friends in the public university system that just happened to be products of parochial schools, as if we sported invisible halos.  It must be a vibe or something.

Jun 18, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I am far easier to get along with in real life than my Internet persona might lead you to suppose. :)

I'm just as opinionated and outspoken in real life, but a lot more diplomatic and good-natured about it than text communication on a web forum really allows for.

Jun 18, 13 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Funny on this one, curt, because I have no read whatsoever on gwharton other than his graphics abilities and alma mater.  I guess a person has to have had "interesting" dialogue with someone before the persona registers.  And gwharton is right, without the use of intonation, subtlety, and context, it's hard to know what someone will be like IRL from this vehicle.

Jun 18, 13 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i worked with Donna. she did most of the work.

Jun 18, 13 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I don't have an answer.

In general, I like architects who view the work as a blending of aesthetic applied design and building science, and then some, and can verbalize what needs to be verbalized about its various aspects without getting knotted up about it.

Jun 18, 13 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

ಥ_ಥ ... not mentioned.

Jun 18, 13 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I just figured out "IRL."

I guess I need to spend more time OL...

Jun 18, 13 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

I have been working with Paul Petrunia and Alexander Walter of Archinect for many years now. Both are awesome and collaborative people to work with. So am I.:.)

Jun 18, 13 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

Pretty hard to judge people by their online personas. That being said there are more than a few here I can imagine not being able to work with at all, and I'm certain to be on that list for many.

Kos, Spike, Rusty and vado would probably be a blast to work with. Many others would be easy due to their obvious professionalism (Ward, b3ta, Donna, toaster, curtkram, etc.).

Jun 18, 13 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Right, it's hard to judge.  But Miles seems like he would make for a good neighbor when one needs a dose of reality or sarcasm.

Jun 18, 13 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

susan surface, of course.

quizzical, naturally.

vado, for sure.

Jun 19, 13 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

and not to be forgotten, nam.

Jun 19, 13 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

@there is no there ah shucks.

as for me i would feel honored to work with any of you all....

Jun 19, 13 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Don't worry, James, I was left out, too.  sniff.

I would love to share drinks with many many characters here, but there never seem to be any Meetups in Texas.  As for work, well, I'm not in the business anymore, so I'd either need to be on a team with folks who knew a lot more about it than I did, or they'd all have to be teachers at heart.

Jun 19, 13 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Sarah, are you a teacher now?  I don't have the chronology on everybody, except curtkram.  There ... let's see if that woke him up.

The first person I befriended upon entering the arch. world was a UMich BS Arch who, during the first 2 weeks, announced he was going back to pick up a teaching credential, and I'm sure he's teaching somewhere.  The dude had lunch with me every other day.  Then a chick from Texas A&M joined up and I always went to lunch with her.  Never went to lunch with anyone from the "alumni club."  So, was it ME or the alumni club factor?  Haha.  The alumni club factor!

At any rate, if you are a teacher, do you like it?

Jun 19, 13 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I love teaching.  I have been teaching high schoolers for a year.  Last year I only taught boys, primarily because my subjects were gaming, programming, and PC maintenance.  This coming year I will teach graphic design and animation.  Much more my speed, but since I still have my cricket club, I will still have a lot of boys.

I've learned a ton from them, probably more than they learned from me.

Jun 19, 13 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

@sarah 

"I've learned a ton from them, probably more than they learned from me"

that is the best sort of teaching i think...

Jun 19, 13 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I might sound like an ass online, but I am completely the opposite in the professional setting.  I work and interact with buffoons on a regular basis but I refuse to throw them under the bus and try to identify and recognize strengths in everyone.  Example is that I work with many young people, and I am all about their learning process and empowerment because whether anyone likes it or not, they are the next generation in the profession of architecture.

I have had many influential mentors (most of which were highly successful architects) at various firms guide me along, and I've always admired their professionalism towards me and others.  To me, those are the kinds of traits that stick out the most and make me want to become just like them and share that gift to others.

Jun 20, 13 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

awww med.! you'd be my favourite to tease.

Jun 20, 13 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

I might sound like an ass online, but I am completely the opposite in the professional setting.  I work and interact with buffoons on a regular basis

LOL

Jun 20, 13 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I totally agree with med on the importance of mentors.

I don't know where I'd be without the patience, encouragement, helpful information, and/ or occasional scolding offered by a few key folks who've taken me under their wings over the last quarter-century.  There is nothing like the full attention by a senior colleague when you're facing an important professional (or personal) quandary.  Mentors don't have to become friends, but it's nice when they do.

As it turns out, this is one of the things I really enjoy about teaching now: the chance to offer some guidance to sometimes-worried youngsters facing a large or small crossroads.

Jun 20, 13 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

sarah, you are my first pic for drinks, hope that helps.

Jun 20, 13 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

Don't be surprised or disappointed when you discover your mentor's failings. 

Jun 21, 13 12:18 am  · 
 · 
observant

My mentors have been a mixed bag.  I don't know if I'm a good mentor or not.  Sometimes, I feel people are actually worth training and, at other times, I take the work back and do it myself without even getting pissed.

As for one outside mentor, my external IDP sign-off guy was a friendly, low ego type but, when I asked him for firms to consider after the ARE, he steered me to a really bohemian place.  Some of those guys looked like bearded Scandinavian sea captains in cable knit sweaters more than they did architects.

Jun 21, 13 12:25 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, there's a big difference between a mentor and an idol.

Jun 21, 13 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: