Archinect
anchor

Update on Scogin/Elam Buckhead Library....

Bluesman7

This sounds like a good idea up front, but will turn into a nasty VE exercise. I think the developer just wants to win at this point.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/05/22/library_0523.html

May 22, 08 2:51 pm
kissy_face

You can't just replicate a building and put it somewhere else! That building was designed for its location! Ben Carter and Tom Lowe should be embarrassed.

May 22, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Uggh....
Yeah hasn't the developer heard about site specific?

May 22, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Naw, the typical developer mindsight is pay an architect once, and replop the same poop everywhere. Rubberstamp-age…

May 22, 08 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

this is so wrong in so many ways. the icing on the cake will be when they say - after tearing down a perfectly good building in order to build their unnecessary histor-icky urban lifestyle consumer center - that the new library will be modified to be 'green'.

May 23, 08 7:36 am  · 
 · 

Steven,
Touche!

May 23, 08 8:27 am  · 
 · 

sounds ludicrous, right? but i won't be at all surprised...

May 23, 08 8:43 am  · 
 · 
digger
"after tearing down a perfectly good building"

look - I recognize that I swimming against the current here, but this is not "a perfectly good building" - it's a "perfectly good schematic design" - the library system has struggled with it since the day it opened.

in the other thread everyone wanted to blame all the construction and operating problems on the contractor(s) and owner - giving Mack and Merrill a free-pass. Having spent many uncomfortable hours inside this library, I simply don't buy that.

Nevertheless, this building is well suited for it's current site - I know the other site - operating considerations of the current building aside, replicating this design there would be silly.

I also know Tom Lowe - he was my county commissioner when I lived in Atlanta - I worked with him to oppose several neighborhood rezonings - imho, he's an old drunk, at best.

All things considered, it would be best to leave this building where it is now.

May 23, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Bluesman7

Don't you think that he is making this proposal to get the the library board on his side, and then later down the road, this project would get VE'ed to hell.

I think it would turn out to be a complete mess. The slate shingles would become hardy plank, etc....

May 23, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
outed

i don't think it would be ve'd, it would simply be replaced. they'd approach msme to get the drawings, msme would refuse, they'd throw up their hands and wail 'well, how can we rebuild it now???' and then hire niles bolton to design the new one.

guaranteed...

May 23, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: