Archinect
anchor

Job Exit Strategy?

med.

So I have decided that I intend to leave the firm I am with. How and when I have no idea... I've been thinking about it since December. If some of you don't remember, I posted an item on here recently illustrating what a poisonous work environment this place has become simply because of a few people who waste time, gossip like crazy, and act like high school idiots. It has gotten beyond intolerable and beyond unsatisfactory.

The sad thing is one of the principles who is a very good mentor (and a great person) and who recognizes my ability and such consistently includes me in many of the design charrettes. We get along very well and he constantly values my work and input and same with two of the senior associates I work closely with. They will be totally shocked if I inform them of my decision because as far as they are concerned they believe I love my job when in reality it couldn't be farther from total falsehood.

Clearly my problem is not with these guys and I also don't want to disappoint them. However, my own interests are at stake here and the reality on the ground is that I wake up every morning more and more dissatisfied and reluctant to go into the office. Have you ever had instances where if you would say 'Hi' to someone, but in return they give you a look back as if you have just slaughtered their entire family, desecrated their graves, and burned their town? Well that is how bad it is here.

I have to start thinking about myself right? So I need some advice on how to begin to address the situation with my superiors and seal the deal. Currently I'm working on a rather large scale project in design development. Personally I would rather complete this project before moving along but damn that requires me to deal with absolute schmuckery every single day. I want to make the final decision and decent exit strategy so that I could start a courting another firm. Any kind of advice will be great.

May 21, 08 10:49 am

tell them what's up, but only when and if your decision is firm. be honest, but don't sound whiny or like sour grapes. just the facts.

if they suggest that they can make it better and you should stay, you need to be committed to your decision because it's not likely to get better for you.

they can try to remedy their internal problems for the future, but if you're in that environment when they try to fix things, it might get more poisonous.

maybe you'll be doing your bosses a favor.

May 21, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Once you're sure that you're leaving - preferably when you have another job lined up - type up a brief resignation letter (3 sentences is enough) stating that you've decided to leave the firm, and that your last date will be ______. State that you'll try to make your transition as easy as possible for the firm. Offer to brief others on your parts of your projects and to train your replacement. You may include some short thing about having enjoyed your time there, learned a lot, great projects, grateful for the opportunity, etc. if you wish.

Depending on how critical your current involvement is on your projects and whether you have a management role, you should give 2 weeks to a month's notice.

Don't tell the firm that you're looking at other firms. Just schedule your interviews for outside firm hours (very early, after the workday, or at lunch). Other firms are usually very obliging with this sort of thing and will be discreet. If that's not possible then take time off work (say you have an appointment - don't be any more specific.) Make sure you don't look like you're obviously dressed for an interview that day at your current job!

Don't have any conversations with anybody in your current firm about thinking about leaving. You don't want to make this into an ultimatum situation, or one where you're airing grievances. Just make up your mind and give them notice when you're ready. That's the most professional strategy, and no other discussion with anyone is necessary.

Some firms will do an "exit interview" in which they ask you about your experience there and why you're leaving. Some constructive suggestions are ok. And again you should tell them you enjoyed the projects, learned a lot, etc. But don't use that as a forum to tell them a bunch of complaints. It's your last impression there. Architecture is a small world. Your job history and your antics at each firm have ways of following you around throughout your career.

May 21, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I forgot to mention: you should hand your resignation to your boss in person - and tell him what it says. Basically tell him in person everything you wrote.

Once you've had this brief discussion ask him if it would be ok for you to email the rest of the firm and announce your impending departure. Respect his wishes if he wants to announce it himself or keep it quiet for a few days.

May 21, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

just don't come in tomorrow and change your # ?

May 21, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

if it is a right to work state that is.

May 21, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
med.

There are some useful pieces of advice here. Thanks for that. I thought about it and thought about it. I figured that I would give it another year and then leave, but every day I just want to leave before the end of the day even. I feel like each day is a monumental task to get through.

And BTW, I physically show absolutely no sign of this to anyone. As far as they're concerned I just mind my own business and pretend everything is just peachy.

May 21, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what you really need archmed is not an exit strategy, but a surge. this will help ensure stability while the different factions of schmuckery resolve their differences. you see, if you leave now, the idiots will take over the firm and create chaos, and this will lead to an Idiot Republic, and possibily reduced standing in professional prestige for you. the main point now is stay the course or the terrorists win. at the point when the firm has become stablized, than by all means leave, but only if you have negotiated the allocation of proper resources from the firm.

May 21, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i am in the same swift boat as you

May 21, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Bloopox, in addition to offering detailed and excellent advice overall, makes the critical point missed in many "I hate my job, should I leave?" threads here. (I do not put this thread in that category, by the way.)

Even the biggest city can be a small town in terms of a profession's culture and social network. As hard as it may be to hold one's tongue rather than let the vitriol fly during an exit interview, don't do it. End on a positive note, unless you're retiring or changing careers.

May 21, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
med.

le bossman.

What you say is exactly what I'm affraid of. If I leave the idiots all win and I am most certain that. But at the same time, when I leave and the firm is dealing with their own internal discord amid discovering what kind of caustic environment it has become, it really isn't my problem it's THEIR problem.

They should have been paying attention and they should have known it.

mdler,

Are you in the same boat as me as in you simply don't care for a healtyh 80% of your co-workers

May 21, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Citizen, I understand that 100%. That is why I want to make this process as clean as possible. I understand how small the architecture community is. The firm I work at is a nationally prominent firm with several offices in different locations and I understand that the connections with other architects are very extensive.

That is why I am an extremely friendly person at our office and refuse to show any sort of discontent and dissatisfaction around anyone.

And I think that asking some of you guys who have a lot of experience in dealing with this sort of thing is very useful as it has been in the past.

May 21, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Archmed

I have clients who fuck around like children and I have become indifferent to the projects. My bosses seem to be indifferent to the projects as well, as to business in general

May 21, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

By the way, Archmed, people RETURN to previous firms all the time after a stint elsewhere. This is yet another reason for us all to leave on good terms--especially if it's a place we otherwise like.

Who knows? Perhaps some of the goons will also move on, and the opportunity to return will present itself in the future, near or distant...

May 21, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you could rock it Hillary style and keep going...

May 21, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
med.

That is exactly why a part of me wants to ride this thing out until these "goons" actually go away.

Because as I have stated in the past, I like all the associates and principles. It's really a handful of "peers" who are the real buffoons who make not only my day-to-day work experience miserable, but everyone elses' at the same time. But I really doubt that they will leave.

Their assholishness seems to be quite contagious and sadly rather celebrated around the office.

May 21, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh and although the work is a little too conservative and hasn't quite made that ellusive jump into the next level, it is a very creative atmosphere and one that is most importantly educational.

May 21, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Going back to your previous thread for a moment: you've made a lot of points both for staying and leaving. Obviously you're torn.
But as has been said before: there's probably little to be done to change the people or their behavior - especially as you've really put a lot into trying in the past.
So really your two choices are:
Go - and if you choose that one just do it as professionally/discreetly as possible. No disgruntlement, no agonized discussions with anyone in the firm, no feeling guilty or sorry for leaving.
Stay - but know that you're doing it for the experience and opportunities that the firm provides, and that it's going to be at the expense of having to deal with these obnoxious underlings on a daily basis.

I think I mentioned once before that I lived through similar coworker situations that seemed monumentally horrible at the time. 10-15 years in retrospect the coworker problems seem trivial and even funny. I know that at this point if I were thrown back into that situation I'd be able to do my job just fine, and could let all the coworker drama slide off my back. But at the time I couldn't do that and going to work every day got less and less appealing.
If you're in that situation, and you can't make the mental leap to where the childish, spiteful behavior just doesn't phase you, then you need to just make the decision to leave. There are always pros and cons to every decision. You can't agonize over them - just make the best choice you can and go with it!

May 21, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
desmondo

Do they do reviews at your office? perhaps you can address the work environment in that forum? I was at a midsize firm that had some serious personnel issues and after several people brought those up in reviews the owners of the firm dealt with it very proactively, brought everyone together and clearly stated what kind of work environment they expected at the office. It seemed to make things a lot better.

I dont know what size firm this is but it seems like the principals/senior people must be somewhat aware of the environment if they have latched onto you as a good and reliable co-worker and must see that other people are hindering production/projects. If you feel like you are learning a lot from the higher ups that is incredibly important. I would rather be in that position and have the peers than have the management level be a bunch of idiots...

May 21, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I just went through a review. It was very good. They had nothing but good things to say with a "keep doing what you're doing, you have a long career ahead of you" conclusion

I didn't want to bring any of that up with them for a few reasons. I am a little older and more mature than that and I feel that I am required to rise above all the churlish high school drama in the end of the day. I was told that they were already aware of the cliqiness, and how mean spirited many of the recent hires were and how they have contaminated the entire office with insufferably self-righteous attitudes. Again it is contagious and in some nauseating scenes heralded by others who are otherwise decent individuals. But it is only getting worse. I can go on and on as to what a rapid regression this office has been through in 13 months.

My concern is that I need to be mindful of all this when I go to my next job and I need to figure out how to avoid such atmospheres.

May 21, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
desmondo

well i wish i could say you can but every office i have been in has cliques, from the smallest to the largest. of course the larger ones were worse, basically because people became so territorial about the smallest things.

so far i've found that offices around 15-20 are the best. right now i am at a place with 15, and all of the co-workers are very nice to each other, respectful. of course the people who have been here longer are a tighter group but they are friendly and nice. last year they hired this guy, who on paper looked really good, he came into the office thinking he was the best thing to happen here since paper was invented. luckily he moved on fairly quickly (he was just too good for here) but he completely upset the office dynamic, it was really disturbing because he was completely disdainful of other people and their contributions.

i hope you can find a better place but in the meantime keep your head down and learn everything you can from the higher ups. perhaps they will weed out the bad elements....its a good sign that they are at least aware of the problem, a very good sign. if it took 13 months to get to this point it might take another 13 months to get better.

May 21, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Desmondo, you hiring?

There are some really good functioning teams in the office and I wish I could be in their teams (these teams are made up of very cool people). But for reasons that simply escape me, that would make far too much sense apparently.

It's as if I'm being tested on just how much bullshit I can take by people who weren't just born assholes but strive to become even better ones.

May 21, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Have u thought about blowing them all away? Going Postal on them?

May 21, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

this was in my inbox today:

If your firm is in downsizing mode, here are a few things to do to prepare yourself:

1. Have all of your medical tests, annual exams etc. done now - before you are downsized and before your insurance runs out. This includes eye and dental exams too.
2. Refill all of your prescriptions. If your plan permits it, buy 3 months worth. If you need a new pair of eye glasses, do it now.
3. Update your resume.

THE DAY
4. Don’t take it personally. This is all about the bottom line.
5. Leave gracefully because you never know when you may work with any of your colleagues at that firm again.
6. Sign up for COBRA medical coverage at your exit interview or as soon as possible.
7. Your colleagues may have leads for your next job, so give your friends your home contact information (phone numbers and email address)
AFTER
8. Sign up for unemployment the next business day after your employment has been terminated. Yes, you may land a job within days or weeks of your downsizing event, however the unemployment benefits take a while to process. And a percentage of your weekly salary is better than nothing when you’re unemployed or employed and waiting for that first check from your new employer.
9. Your colleagues may have leads for your next job, so keep in touch. (Also it’s good for socialization needs.)
10. If you don’t have an answering machine or answering service on your phone plan, then now is the time to invest in one of these.
11. Find one thing to do first thing every morning. Choose a physical activity to get you moving into the day. (I climbed Diamond Head at 6:30 am every morning for several months - 198 steps in the 1.4 mile trail. My nephew kayaked across a lake in Georgia every morning while he was in transition between jobs.)
12. Remain sociable. The biggest adjustment when you’re unemployed is being alone more than you were during your normal work day. (In Hawaii, we use to joke about buying 2 or 3 items at a time at the grocery store just so you would need to go through the check out line again later in the day.) Check in with your local AIA Chapter. In addition to job boards, sometimes they will host informal gatherings for the recently unemployed (resume updating, networking, interview skills, how to post resumes on the internet and how to search internet job postings).

Downsizing is never pleasant, however these tips may make it less stressful for you and may be helpful to your fellow associates.

May 21, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
comb

Archmed: my god, man, stop wallowing in self-pity and angst -- you see your situation a certain way -- you clearly hate the situation in which you find yourself -- make your decision, implement it in a professional manner, and move on.

you're just going around in circles here.

May 21, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

direct action gets the goods, envision what you do what and make it happen.

May 21, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
n_

How much information should one tell their supervisor when they quit? Should one say something generic such as 'I'm intersted in pursuing other opportunities?' Or should you be more specific about what exactly they plan to do and why?

I know this tends to be a case by case situation but I'd like to know how little one may rightfully get away with.

May 21, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Archmed, you're in the DC area, right? (My apologies, I haven't been following your saga.)

I've heard mixed reports about the general market, although things here seem to be slightly better than elsewhere in the country. Read the Business Journal for insight into predictions about the economy. For instance, I've heard anecdotally that housing is weak (like nationwide), but the office market is still moderately strong. BUT, if you're new to a firm that suddenly decides to lay-off people, the last-in-first-out principle may apply. Firms aren't in the super-hiring mode like they were a year ago, so your selection may be slimmer compared to when you were hired for your current job.

May 21, 08 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

n_: most professional advisors say you should state nothing about your future plans or your reasons for leaving in your resignation letter - just give the date you're leaving, and leave out even the vaguest explanations. In person you might just say you're moving on to a new opportunity - if you feel you have to say anything. If you do have another job lined up you might also send an email to all the people you worked with at the old firm with your new contact info (you can send this before or after you leave the old firm).

May 22, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Hell is other people -- Sartre.

May 22, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Archmed

I totally relate to what you're going through, as I was in a similar situation myself a few months ago. I enjoyed the work of the office I was working for (good design culture, challenging projects etc.,) but it came to a point where I found it increasingly difficult to cope with their lack of office culture, basic organisation and management skills and generally a pretty shitty work environment. In the end, I realized that the things I were unhappy with at my firm and their lack of professionalism totally outweighed the interesting work they had to offer and that I just could not enjoy working there anymore, I was dragging my feet to the office every day and felt quite depressed about my situation. The thing is I had been in situations like that in previous jobs in the past where I waited WAY too long to start looking for another job, just get the hell out and move on with my life. The more you wait, the worse it gets and in my opinion the minute you start thinking about moving on, deep inside your decsion is already made and sooner or later you'll take the plunge and leave. So the sooner the better, and don't worry about your boss's reaction, the only thing that really matters in the end is your sanity and your well being. I understand why you might have qualms about leaving especially if you respect your boss and feel that (s)he's given you opportunities etc., but don't worry about it, in the end you don't belong to them and you're free to do whatever you want. They will try to cajole you into staying which is why you need to get a job offer you like and formally accept it prior to resigning from your current job, that way there is no way back, you're bound to go. If you don't leave now you will come to regret it in the future as the situation at your office will not improve and anyway you won't be able to change it singlehandedly.... If it gets on your nerves, just get out, if you don't you'll hate yourself for it later.
Good luck!

May 22, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

The grass is always greener on the other side, huh? Granted I've only been at 3 firms, but it seems like every firm has issues, different issues, but none without. How can you let your co-workers get to you like that? Does it really effect you that much that SOME people are immature, while the rest of your job sounds pretty good? I'm just asking... It could be a lot worse, no? Like your boss could talk to you in cartoon voices like mine.

May 22, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

Strawberry, you're right every firm has issues, so it can be tricky to find the perfect job, if there's such a thing... But the bottom line is that if you're really unhappy somewhere (which seems to be the case for Archmed) you gotta get out... And I too believe that if people at your office are pricks then it will definitely ruin other aspects of your job that are positive and that it can make your life miserable. So the exit strategy is to find a job and leave, no need to justify anything or back stab the miserale bullies who've been dicks to you in the process and there is always the option of finding bullshit excuses anyway if it really comes down to that (private personal reasons for example...) It's a free market with lots of opportunities that are there for the taking, we tend to forget that sometimes... An employer would not hesitate to let someone go if they had to, it's a 2way street, leaving an office does not mean burning bridges, any reasonable employer would understand why someone would want to move on without feeling betrayed...

May 23, 08 8:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: