Archinect
anchor

Throw Away the TV

NoSleep

My wife and I disconnected cable television about 2 years ago in hopes of watching less television. Then we signed on to Netflix with the excuse that we'll watch inde films and documentaries. We have.

...but, I find myself flipping through mind-numbing basic channel television shows with the excuse of laziness.

Has anyone completely removed the television set from his/her house?

If so, was it worth it?

Do you recommend it?

What do you do instead?

May 19, 08 7:14 pm
iamsam

I am actually moving tomorrow to San Antonio for an internship for 8 months. I will not be bringing a tv with me. I'm fed up with wasting my time watching trash...and I can watch the Office online anyway. I'm doing this as a sort of experiment to see how I do without one. My goal is to explore and enjoy a new city, get outside and wander around, and to READ when I get bored. Hopefully it will be sort of liberating--I'll let you know how it goes!

May 19, 08 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i haven't owned a tv since I was in high school (although in fairness some of my roommates have had tv so it wasn't as though I went withou all the time).

Anyhow, I definitel recommend life without tv. You quickly find that there is plenty to keep you occupied...even if it's just posting more to archinect.

Only thing I miss is the sports on tv...but I make up for that by spending more time at the bar.

May 19, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'd throw out my T.V., but i've got a playstation

May 19, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i've never had one in the first place

May 19, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

I have a TV but it doesn't get any channels, basically just a big monitor for my DVD player. Don't miss it, there's plenty to do.

May 19, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

for two years in san diego I did not have a tv. got me a good social life at regular status at the bar.

May 19, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

Oh shit...isn't 'gossip girl' on tonight? gotta run!

May 19, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

iamsam,

i live in sa. who will you be interning with?

May 19, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

puddles,

what did you do about the movie craves? or, did you have any?

May 19, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

I dont watch any TV... i have a kid. he just turned 1 and we agreed to never turn the tube on in front of him. There was a study done which explained how allowing children to watch television at a young age led to speech delays.

May 19, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

who needs TV when you have Archinect?

May 19, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'what do you do instead'?

MOVE OUT OF TEXAS

May 19, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

Re: movies

I rarely go to theater to see hollywoods latest. Funny how when you're not bombarded by the tv commercials you lose the desire to the latest at the local megaplex. as for buying & watching dvds...i typically just used my laptop. for an extra, more cinema-like experience i'll hook up the digital projector (and speakers) to my laptop and watch a movie cast on a blank, white wall...but I typically only do that if I have company. admittedly, it's alittle bit ghetto but it works for me

May 19, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
iamsam

NoSleep -- I start at Lake/Flato in a week...suppose there's a good chance youre with them too!

May 19, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I used to have cable and now I don't... but I never really watched too much TV anyway. I might watch slightly less TV now (almost none). It does cause you to think of other ways to occupy your spare time.

May 19, 08 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
theparsley

I find the internet to be perfectly adequate for all my mind-numbing needs. one must of course in these days have a connection speed adequate for video.

who needs the history channel when you have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-yldqNkGfo

May 19, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
ether

no cable for the last 5 years... those basic channels will be gone within the year unless you want to splurge for the digital converter..

May 19, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

gonadsxe, that was our route with my son - never even turned on the TV if he was in the room until after he was 2 years old. So far, at almost 5, he has only a little interest in TV; just last night he said to us he didn't feel like watching TV, he wanted to draw instead. Score!!

May 19, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LB

is he drawing pictures of TVs?

May 19, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Rockets, dinosaurs, spaceships, racecars, tigers: boy stuff.

May 19, 08 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

got rid of my tv 4 years ago.....

no time for lazyness.......

b

May 20, 08 1:00 am  · 
 · 
mdler

tweed

we only watched your netflix movies...

May 20, 08 1:48 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

we've got bunny ears so we can catch PBS, and netflix a lot.

once our gov't forces us out of the TV market, we'll probably toss it and stop the netflix subscription as well.

i'd rather be having cocktails and a dinner party anyway, which reminds me, i need to browse (graze?) food central thread.

May 20, 08 1:54 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Wow, looks like very few people on the 'nect are grazing the idiot box.

While I don't like T.V. that much, I will wholeheartedly admit that I absolutely loved laying on my ass after a semester of busting it and watching the tube. I'm moving into a new apartment tomorrow, and I'm thinking me and my roomie (another arch.) may just get basic cable so we can catch basketball and football games.

May 20, 08 2:35 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

apu, that's what your friendly neighborhood bar is for...

May 20, 08 2:52 am  · 
 · 
gonad

lb, thats awesome! glad to know we're not the only people implementing this technique.

May 20, 08 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

my parents removed cable tv
because they knew that me and the rest
of my siblings wouldnt watch basic, all
we do is check the news from time to time
and/or put a dvd in.
tv is trash these days anyway, no major loss

May 20, 08 7:56 am  · 
 · 
andrewmikhaelarch

I didn't bring a TV with me to grad school, which was tough during an american idol obsession, I really only missed that and sunday football games.....

May 20, 08 8:08 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i find the internet to be a much greater waste of time and brain cells than the tv. i would recommend disabling ie before throwing your tv out the window.

"i hate the internet" - gordon gano, 21st century remix.

May 20, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

but the internet at least has the option of interactivity...you can get out of it what you want to...garbage in, garbage out

the television set on the other hand is just flickering images with linited editing capabilties (i.e., you can change the channel or switch to dvd)

May 20, 08 9:21 am  · 
 · 
ether

rock on lb.

May 20, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i haven't had cable in 5 years as well. we just use the tv for watching the free dvds we check out from the library. but i'm moving out soon (future location unknown) and it's not my tv.

when i studied abroad in paris for a year, we always did the ghetto hook-up of speakers with the laptop. sometimes "borrowed" the projector from school.

i like not having cable and am looking forward to moving and hopefully not having a tv wherever i live.

May 20, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LB, I envy you. My kid LOVES the tv. I try to keep him from watching it, but its hard. I guess he just likes the flashing colours, its not like he understands anything yet. I wonder if there is something similar to the tv that wont distroy his mind.

May 20, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i do not find myself a good reason to own a tv, i only want sex and money, redtube & bloomberg serve me well in the past years.

May 20, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

For the next generation it is not the TV that will be an issue...but the computer...the TV is about to die and transform into the digital box...which has already largely started to happen with the advent of AppleTV and other devices of the sort.

May 20, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
aemkei

Are there just con's in this discussion? No pro's?

When I grew up there was a VERY limited range of channels to choose from in Sweden. For us growing up in the suburbs there were basically only the two state-owned public service channels, SVT1 and SVT2, so one day in 1981 or '82 my dad got a satelite dish, and this was back when they were pretty enormous (after it was taken down I believe it made a re-appearance in the end-scene of Golden Eye), and it did gave me the opportunity to watch, so called, brain-numbing tv in much larger quantities than kids stuck with SVT's limited programming. But rather than making me stupid it 1) gave me and my closer friends loads of inspiration of things to do AWAY from the tv set and 2) resulted in me speaking basic English long before the other kids (who had to wait until fourth grade when the teacher's said it was time to learn a second language).
On the negative side that huge satelite dish had the entire neighborhood covered in darkness...

May 21, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

download download download

May 21, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: