Archinect
anchor

City of the Year

2step

The suns out, the weathers turned and its all happening right before our eyes. "It has been greening itself since long before it became trendy, and it has been dancing, too -- this is the home of house music, Wilco, and Lupe Fiasco. Here, in the birthplace of the American skyscraper, Santiago Calatrava is redefining the form with his Spire, while at the Art Institute, Renzo Piano is building a $300 million addition. The economy is growing faster than New York's or L.A.'s. And one of Chicago's own, who arrived in the 1980s and, in the tradition of the great rabble-rouser Saul Alinsky, took a job community organizing, has made a shockingly viable run for president, despite everyone telling him he was too inexperienced. "

chitown

May 19, 08 4:50 pm
lletdownl

heyoooooo

represent

May 19, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect
hey....hrmm.....um
May 19, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

thats old news... they passed a pretty good operational funding plan... and though the capital budget funding is not yet established, the improvements from this time last year have been dramatic...

wonder if ill get ripped for defending the cta... im guessing yes

May 19, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

do you guys work for the chamber of commerce?

May 19, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I was crossing my fingers for Gary, IN.

May 19, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

how could it NOT have been louisville?!

May 19, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Big Ups Chi-babies! Now not everyone fire your guns into the air at once.

Seriously though - this honor almost makes up for losing to Indy in the superbowl.

May 19, 08 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Although i have only visited Chi-town 3-4 times, i love the place. I have good experienced good friends and good music there. Also, i just like the lake adjacent scenario...

Most of who i know from Chicago loves the place too. Even the transplanted.

May 19, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just out of curiosity, what sort of improvements have been made to the CTA? Last time I rode the 'L', it felt like the subway system of some third-world banana republic.

May 19, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

my only complaint is that it's in the midwest.

May 19, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

is any one in chi-city hiring? i heard there were a bunch o' freezes...

May 19, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

LiG, they've redone all the brown line stations (think that was still underway when you left?) and are slowly but surely upgrading all the blue line track to eliminate slow zones... started a couple weeks ago upgrading the loop tracks too (by shutting the loop down one entire street at a time on the weekends)... and are running the trains more consistently and more speedily lately. Improvements have actually been noticeable. Particularly on the brown line... they started running 8 car trains and it's not packed anymore, even on game days.

May 19, 08 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Chicago has a lot of potential. Not quite there yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

May 19, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
ladsnine

Almost every line of the CTA is currently under construction, they're renovating a couple subway stations downtown every year, and they have big expansion plans. Also, they found the money to stop threatening service cuts in the future, and they are buying new trains that are gonna be really nice, from what I've seen. Also, they've pledged to remove all the slow zones from the system by late 2009 and raise the general speed limit for L trains from 55 to 70 mph and actually hit that speed. I'm really impressed as of late with the CTA...and with Chicago in general...

May 23, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
postal

holz... i've heard a lot of not so great news, but my firm just hired... (though I'm not sure why), lletdownl's hired... and if you chiggity check blair kamin's blog, smith + gordon says they're going to go from 70 to 200... (wtf!?)

in regards to the CTA, my commute has been halved... (soon to be tripled with the move to the burbs to appease the lady)

seriously though, from 45 - 60 min train ride to 25-30 min train ride... it's quite odd. it's part of the reason i caved to move to the burbs, as my commute was one fourth of my fiance's.

May 24, 08 1:28 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

At least tell me u picked a good suburb like Evanstan or Oak Park etc.

May 24, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

postal just left chicago
and he's bound for downer's grove...

May 24, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

you should try bolingbrook

i hear they protect & serve very well

May 24, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
postal

arlington heights... or as i like to call it...

aaaaaahhhhhhlington heights...

at least i probably won't need a car, i'll just have to put up with the massively cheesy and franchise filled downtown development betwixt ugly generic midrise towers...

May 26, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
surface

Don't forget the tattoo
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Michael.Duplessis.Sam.2.335722.html

May 26, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
May 28, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

LiG youre just pissed cause as soon as you moved away Chicago became King Shit of F_ck Mountain...
coincidence? hmmmm

May 28, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

no

May 28, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Weather's turned my ass. I'm moving to LA.

May 28, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned by the Chicago Booster Club yet, so I guess I'll do the honors: IOC picks Chicago among 4 finalists for 2016 Summer Olympics. The other finalist cities are Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio de Janeiro.

Congrats, Chicago, and best of luck. I really mean it.

Jun 4, 08 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Thanks LIG - in true Chicago fashion I fear it will implode when Chicago officials are caught with olympic comittemen and suitcases of cash, blow and hookers in a motel 6 by the airport

Jun 4, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

I love the purple hotel. That place is a modernist gem in a really fucked-up location.

Jun 5, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Well its being torn down for a strip mall

Jun 5, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Renewable

Jun 5, 08 12:17 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

i suggested it to mappa i dont think they are interested

Jun 5, 08 12:20 am  · 
 · 

this mapa-participant never heard about it.

Jun 5, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

recheck your emails

Jun 5, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

6-25-07

Jun 5, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

whoa, cool, i've never seen taht purple motel! where is it?

also , to evil re: "in true chicago fashion" : thanks ,you made me laugh out loud. that's probably exactly what will happen.

Jun 5, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

That hotle is off of touhy and lincoln - northwest past skokie in Lincolnwoods

Jun 6, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: